Microsoft update problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raffaz, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Not sure if this will help someone, but ya never know.

A few nights ago i was on my new system, i had been doing a bit of overclocking with the asus software and i needed to reboot. So, i restarted the system to let some changes take effect, selected my OS from multiboot menu and proceeded to boot vista x64. The microsoft logo came up with the scrolling bar, then that cleared and i got nothing but a black screen. I left it for 10 mins and still no change.

My first thoughts were that it was an overclock gone wrong. So i restarted the system and tried again with the same result. So i thought i would try booting into another OS and i got the same results! This happened on all 4 OSes (XP included when this update doesnt apply AFAIK). I then tried clearing the CMOS (theres a cool button on the I/O section for doing this without opening your case on the maximus):)

Next thing i tried was last known good config with the same result, so i thought i would try safe mode. This is where i started learning a few things. I booted up and it was constantly hanging at CRCDISK.SYS, so i started looking into this. I checked google and found alsorts of things from USB to SATA device problems etc. I eventually stumbled on an article that mentioned a MS update (KB941649) so i started looking into this and possible solutions, as i wasnt the only person having problems.

Everyone was suggesting using system restore, i tried this, but i have a fresh build and didnt have restore points. There were a few people suggesting that i delete certain .SYS files and then replace them with ones from the install CD, but i had problems doing this because Vista was being an arse lol:) I then noticed a guys post who said he went in the BIOS and set his SATA drives to IDE (sounds strange, but on some boards it means that they act like IDE drives and not RAID etc) So i checked that and mine were on IDE. So i figured i was out of luck there. I then decided to change the BIOS settings from IDE to RAID and boot the system, i got a STOP 7B error as i expected. So i swapped it back to IDE and rebooted. Guess what . . . . . . . .Problem solved.:D

Sorry for the long post but i thought it might help someone, and im also curious for ideas on why this might have worked, and why it affected all 4 operating systems when this update doesnt apply to XP. So, any ideas???? :)

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Mick, i doubt the update was causing the issue, as you state the problem was caused by the BIOS/CMOS settings related to the SATA drive controller. And, as far as i can tell, the update is still on your system.

The point where your system was hanging, was probably prior to the update files being loaded into memory. Also, the update files would not affect the other OSs on your PC.

My guess, is that whilst you were using the software to overclock, a bug in that software changed something else in the BIOS which confused the boot up process. When you switched from IDE to RAID and back, you reset manually the type of controller to use. The fact that this fixed the issue, is the clue that something behind the scenes that you cant see in the BIOS screen had been messed up.

This is likely to be a MOBO/BIOS specific issue, rather than something general, which could affect all Windows users.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Raffaz

I forgot to mention that i removed the update from my system mate, and there was still no change. There is tons of stuff on google relating to this issue. Infact MS actually released a V2 update to try and correct this problem. The default on the mobo is IDE so when i reset the board it went back to IDE. Check out that KB article in google and you will see that im not the only person affected. Also worth mentioning that the mobo im running is fairly new, and it was released alot later than the original problems with the update.

4. Raffaz

Its also worth mentioning that no BIOS changes had been made, and the system went through multiple boots during MS updates. I checked the updates and the update in question occured at 22.32 and i had problems when i rebooted at 22.45ish

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ok Mick, the more info the better :)

What did this update actually update?

6. Raffaz

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ah, it would seem that the update does do something to the disk controllers..

:rolleyes: