Microsoft to retire their three top certifications

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by JK2447, Aug 31, 2013.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I'm not really sure what is going on with Microsoft in terms of certification these days. They have announced that they are retiring the "Microsoft Certified Master (MCM), Microsoft Certified Solutions Master (MCSM), and Microsoft Certified Architect (MCA) certifications"

I personally think this is a shame. I doubt I would ever go for one of these but I thought it was great that a person could if they were talented enough.

Read more here

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That's too bad... Honestly, I don't know what's the deal with Microsoft these days...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

I'm thinking I might make these 2012 exams my last from Microsoft and concentrate on Citrix and VMware. I do applaud the sway back to MCSA and MCSE, but are they going to retire my certification in 2014, probably the way they are managing things. I do not want to be going back to square one that often. I was reading up about 2012 R2 last night. I'm determined not to get caught out in my exams like I was with 2003 R2 questions, WSUS etc

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I thought that the MCA had already been stopped as 3 years ago this sprung up. As for the other two, considering it cost between $10k and $20k, the chances of actually achieve that were slim to none for me (and a lot of people that I know).

However with the way Microsoft is chopping and changing it's certification program(s), the recently gained MCSA 2012 will be the last cert from Microsoft that I will go for (with the exception of the new MCE, but that's not a technical cert) for the foreseeable future.

I can already foresee that for the next version of server (after 2012 r2) there will be another cert track name change. If HR ain't confused now, they will soon be :)

Now off to concentrate on other vendor certs and other quals :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Was thinking the same thing - dark days - again!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

What were the previous dark days like?! I'm enjoying these server certs more than I did the XP desktop certs. They appear to have streamlined a lot of the study material. However, with the push to the cloud I do wonder about the long term practicality of them, and so want to round myself out (no jokes please) with some more useful alternatives such as VCP or CCA (or whatever their certs are these days).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
    jk2447 likes this.
  7. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Haven't they only just introduced the MCSM? I think it's a shame there isn't going to be a top-tier certification anymore. I can't see Cisco dropping their CCIE program anytime soon, so this just seems odd.

8. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The end of TechNet - also I like to complain! :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

The price tag on these high level MS certs is quite high... at some point they removed the course requirement which was great, but I guess there was not enough interest. With CCIE and VCDX certs out there, I would think MS would keep the higher level certs. Personally, I doubt I'd ever go for the MCA or MCM, I just don't work with that particular technology to the level worthy of MCM/MCA, but for those that are and are preparing to take the exams, this would not be good news.

My goal is VCDX... but that will take a few years before I even consider it. Hope they have those certs then :)

- - - Updated - - -

That's another WTF moment...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hiya mate sorry I do agree with you, I am enjoying my 2012 studies a lot, I can't deny. I am worried in venal about the name changing of their certs, retiring these top certs and others like the 2008 track so soon. It just makes me wonder how long I will get out of my new MCSE. Arguably mt 2003 MCSE has served me well even to the present day. The quicker MS release and retire exams, the less value they will hold IMHO. But sorry yeah I didn't mean to sound like I wasn't enjoying my Microsoft studies.

11. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

A little frustrating for me as well... I've been begging my manager to let me do an MCM, even said I'd pay a part of it if I could go.
    And now they're dropping it, which means it'll be no-go for me -_-

Oh well, guess I'll have to do some other certs then :\

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
    jk2447 likes this.
  12. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  13. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

They're missing the point entirely if they are measuring the success of a certification by the number of certified individuals. The narrow-mindedness is mind-boggling.

14. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I guess the only consolation we can see for the time being, is the words in that article which mention the fact that an alternative is being researched.
    I'm just worried it'll be a massively diluted version of the courses (which in my opinion was the reason to do them...). I did not see the 'certs' as being the reason to go for this, instead you had a chance to be with members of the Product Group and top subject matter experts from Microsoft, hearing the secrets rights from the horses mouth. That advice alone was worth an immense amount.

If they strip it down to a third of its content to keep price down, it's a major shame. Who chooses what stays and what goes, we all consider different things a priority, hence something that gets stripped from the class, may be just the info you need.

I've had a chance to discuss this with a few other colleagues who also just feel frustrated knowing this doesn't exist anymore, they too were eager to get a chance (one day) to do something like this.

But let's see what else might be in store then. I really could use a deep course like one of these.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
    jk2447 likes this.