Microsoft steps up browser battle

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Jan 27, 2009.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Microsoft steps up browser battle

The US software giant says IE 8 is faster, easier to use and more secure than its competitors. "We have made IE 8 the best browser for the way people really do use the web," said Microsoft's Amy Barzdukas. "Microsoft needs to say these things because it continues to lose market share to Firefox, Chrome and Safari," said Gartner analyst Neil MacDonald. Recent figures have shown that Microsoft's dominance in this space has been chipped away by competitors. At the end of last year, data from Net Applications showed the software giant's market share dropped below 70% for the first time in eight years to 68%. Meanwhile Mozilla broke the 20% barrier for the first time in its history with 21% of users using its browser Firefox.

Go, Firefox Go! Uh...I mean, to read the rest of the story go to BBC.co.uk.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      They'll have to do a lot to tempt me back. I've used Firefox for about four years now and have never considered switching back to IE. I'm glad they made IE7 more secure - but I'll never go back to it unless they give me a compelling reason to do so.
    2. BosonJosh
      BosonJosh
      It's going to take a lot to get me to go back to using IE regularly. Given that I have to teach the features of IE in our products, I have to continue using it and being familiar with it. But, as a former Web developer, I'll never forget them saying that they're discontinuing work on it several years ago, causing Web developers across the world to have to code around IE.
    3. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      have they got rid of those crappy big tab bars that they tried to rip off firefox?