Microsoft skills assesments a Rant

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by martin brighton, Aug 11, 2005.

1. martin brighton

martin brighton New Member

Had a look at microsftsfots site they offer free skills assesments with a indivudial training plan you can print off ( ie all the microsft press books and courses you can take) which I have NO problem with had a look at it yesterday though I'd take a skills assesment today. Can't get on the bloody site at all no way nadda :( .
    after half an hour of frustration thought I'd email microsoft that there site was down guess what there Feedback form is missing :oops: :biggrin.
    either there crap
    or its a cunning plan to get potential IT workers used to using microsoft produts :twisted:
    going to try once more and then writing to them using pen and paper :cry:

Certifications: ECDL :)
    WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Microsoft's skill assessments are nothing other than seeing how good you are at doing things the Microsoft way. Good for if you are wanting to do a cert, but no good at all for proving real skills.

"There's the Microsoft way, and then there's the real world way" - Anyone who has ever taken a Cert!!!

8)

3. DaveB

DaveB Bit Poster

Even when you do get on to take the assessment you don't get an individual breakdown of the results - ie you don't get to see which ones you got wrong and have the correct answer shown to you. What's the use in that?

Certifications: MCAD
    WIP: MCSD
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Actually the Microsoft online skills assessments are a thinly disguised sales brochure. Try the SQL 2005 one. Nothing practical, just questions like 'what feature of SQL 2005 makes it better at doing backups than 2000?' Please! Really think that's going to crop up in an exam.

Mind you, I am a MS supporter. Dig deep and you will find fantastic free stuff...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I wish they did put things like that on exams! :)