Microsoft shuts down Windows 98

Discussion in 'News' started by simongrahamuk, Jul 11, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Microsoft shuts down Windows 98

Microsoft is urging an estimated 70 million users of Windows 98 to upgrade as it ends support for the software.

From 11 July, Microsoft will no longer help users over the phone with any problems they have with the ageing operating system.

The firm will also stop providing security updates for Windows 98 from the same date.

Support for the software was originally due to end in 2003, but was extended following customer protests.

Shutting down

Products affected by closing down the support system include Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me (Millennium Edition). Analyst firm IDC believes that more than 70 million users will be hit by the change.

To read more click here

porta2_tags:

Comments

1. simongrahamuk
    2. zimbo
      zimbo
      i think its about time i mean it was 8 years ago!
    3. hbroomhall
      hbroomhall
      On the other hand - it still works, and is intrinsicaly safer than XP!

Harry (putting the cat among the pigeons)
    4. Sandy
      Sandy
      Mine still works! So they not shut my machine down.
    5. Tegal
      Tegal
      *SIGH*

I liked Win98. It was kind of endeering the way it locked up with almost any fault, the way you had to reboot after almost every install, the way it got confused so easily ... those we're good days.

At least, thinking back they seemed to be good days. It was the OS on the first computer I ever owned myself, I can still remember the cold clutch of fear in my stomach when it crashed for the first time a few days after I got it and the relief when it rebooted ok. Actually I still have the same case and floppy drive from that machine, everything else has been upgraded :biggrin
    6. The_Geek
      The_Geek
      I have an 8 year old Toshiba laptop that has 98SE on it and I use it every day. It's a great little box for configuring Cisco routers.
    7. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Find the future of Windows 98 computers Here. :tongue
    8. zimbo
      zimbo
      I was just waiting for someone to post something like this!:tongue
    9. Boycie
      Boycie
      joking aside, i think this is where Linux will really shine. Why would people want to spend a few hundred or even a thousand pounds on a machine just to surf the net, or type the odd letter?

Just my 2p 8)
    10. Mr.Cheeks
      Mr.Cheeks
      Mate - the support is the only thing that MS is not doing not for 98, but everything will work, why switch to Linux then? I thought you have to pay for support with Linux anyway? so either payment, you gonna pay? ...or is linux support FOC?
    11. zimbo
      zimbo
      pay for support? :blink unless you going to *buy* something like Red Hat Enterprise Linux support is free in the form of mailing lists and forums.... updates are a breeze! 8)
    12. Mr.Cheeks
      Mr.Cheeks
      SWEEET! :biggrin