Microsoft Releases SQL Server 2008 to Manufacturing, IT Pros

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Microsoft Releases SQL Server 2008 to Manufacturing, IT Pros

Microsoft has released SQL Server 2008 to manufacturing (RTM) and, as an evaluation edition, to subscribers of its Microsoft Development Network and TechNet services, the company announced today. Redmond is expected to open the software to general release by the end of September, according to earlier reports.

This version of SQL Server will offer wide swath of new capabilities, making it a formidable rival to Oracle's enterprise database offering.

One of the chief new features will be something called Policy-Based Management, which will allow administrators to set an organizational-wide configurations for all running instances of SQL Server, according to Microsoft Federal development consultant Jack Bradham.

SQL Server 2008 will also collect performance data of the database itself, through its Performance Data Collector (PDC). Administrators will also be able to allocate resources for each workload, through a new feature called the Resource Governor.

To read the whole story see here. For more information on SQL2008 or for a trial, see here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments