Microsoft Policy

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by mattwest, Apr 7, 2004.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I was just wondering if anyone here is worried about Microsoft and its future.

I'm a MS fan, i like their operating systems and love MS office. On the desktop it rules, and it is a good server OS. But a year into my new job (primarily Linux) i can see that Linux has alot of advantages at the server end of the market.

It can be a pain to install and configure but for virtually zero £ you can setup file, print and web servers. (very stable too, few reboots).

Does anyone think MS should reduce its prices so not to lose out to Linux?

Personally i think MS should give its windows and office systems to the public sector (and schools especially) for free, or dirt cheap. I used to work in a school so i know MS prices are cheaper, but still out of budget for many schools.

What better way to ensure your future than have 90% of all school leavers completely familiar with your software?

It puzzles me why they dont do this. Any thoughts?

I hope Linux continues to go strong, but i dont want to see MS lose too much ground to linux on the desktop front (boy do i not like star office!)

Matt

Just my rant! :)

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good points there, Matt - I reckon they're going to have to do some significant things to re-think their future, I mean Linux is gaining support in some pretty big Institutions / Government departments, etc.

Just look at the recent dropping of support for Windows 98 by MS - they were forced to withdraw that (ie continue to support it) after the realisation that Linux was fast becoming a genuine option for the desktop.

I think this Thread could run for a bit - well introduced, Matt :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Yeah Linux is getting backed by some big companies (SUN, IBM etc) which it lacked a few years ago. The way i see it, if most schools and government departments used MS, then they would have it made!

Only time will tell!

I also think they should only release a new OS every 4 or 5 years, and actually test it properly and get it right. The idea of another desktop or server upgrade a year after the last isnt appealing! :cry:

4. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

It seems this topic has died an early death!

Does anyone else have any thoughts on Microsoft's future?

(Sorry but i like a good debate :twisted: )

Matt

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's ok. I don't think MS is going down for the count (boxing metaphor). They may have to rethink their business strategy but they will definately survive. No one operating system (regardless of what Bill Gates may think) does it all. Some are better at certain things than others so I seriously doubt Linux will replace Windows. I think the market share will jiggle around a bit but that's the nature of competition. It wasn't so long ago that Novell Netware was king of the NOS market. Then Microsoft released NT followed by Windows 2000 and now Windows 2003 and Novell almost became extinct. Lo and behold, Novell made a few purchases, invested heavily in SuSe Linux and is making a comeback. Meanwhile, Red Hat Linux is making headway into the enterprise market and in fact, Linux and UNIX have always been huge in the web server arena.

The vast majority of end users worldwide know Microsoft. You might be able to get some of them to use an alternate OS, but it would have to look and feel a lot like Windows and Linux is years behind as a desktop operating system. I think Windows in some form is hear to stay...at least as long as there's even a spark of life left in Bill Gates...and he doesn't even look sick.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Our school has just joined up on the M$ schools agreement which means that we pay a lot of money for the licence to use M$ products every year. OS, Office, Server, Exchange, SQL plus other goodies. You have to pay per machine. I think our bill was in the region of £25K.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Tis not cheap!

:roll:

8. AJ

Still we do get "free upgrades" to the latest versions!

9. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Is that 25K for just one year? or for say 3 or 5 years?

If 3-5 then thats quite good, but 25K PA seems a bit steep, well for most schools anyway!

10. AJ

Thats a per year figure. We've somewhere in the region of 500 pc's inc servers.

I work in a private school which takes in 750 boarders and about 300 day pupils. Checkout the web site Oundle School

11. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Cool, i worked for a school and left last year.

We had 750 students and staff and about 220 PC's inc servers.

We weren't private and i was the only one do IT there, (network manager) so i had my hands full. Worked for nearly 4 years but the money was terrible so i had to leave.

Shame cos i enjoyed it!

Matt

12. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Matt - the simple answer to your question is not in the least.

You would need the cash of a small planet and about 3 thousand years to move them from where they are in the world.

Both operating systems have there strong and weak points and currently you have an option of MS or Linux I hope one day there will just be one operating system and that everybody will be issued a range of IPv6 numbers at birth. :eek: