1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Software' started by gary_potten, Jul 27, 2005.

1. gary_potten

gary_potten Bit Poster

Hi all, just a quick question, Is there a version of office that will run from a server? if there is does anyone know where I can get a copy with about 10-15 licences? Cheers
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I know you get web-based Outlook (and bloody nice it is too) as part of Small Business Sever - not sure of the full suite is covered though. A mate of mine runs a SBS - I'll try and catch him and ask for you :)
    Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

That depends on what you mean by runs from the server. As gav said, there is a web-based version of outlook (and i agree, it is pretty nice), but outlook will also run from a server on thin clients.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

if you want to run standard office as is on a server you will need to set it up as a terminal server
    more liscences are hence required
    but then clients connect to the server and are presented with either a desktop environment, or the application itself

citrix is a more advanced version of this, again more money though

there is a web based version of office comming into fruitation after one of microsofts latest aquisitions
    its called Office Live
    do a few googles for it
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0