Microsoft in the wrong here? Response to MCP Flash: July 2009

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by kevicho, Jul 16, 2009.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of the master certification. I still think it would be beneficial to bring this in at the MCITP level - after all it's these guys who'll be running 99% of the corporate MS environments.

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

But therin lies your problem

the cost of delivering such a scheme is high, thus making it a best fit for an expensive high end cert
    99% of the guys running our infrastructure are not that high, but to expect them to all do a practical portion would be crazzzzy

The better way would be to grant experienced IT staff with a certain level of skill as 'auditors' and allow staff who work with them to get something signed to say 'yeah, they know what they are doing, for real'

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep. Same reason why Cisco doesn't offer it for their mid-level certs. It's prohibitively expensive.

In an ideal world, yes. Unfortunately, this sort of setup is prone to corruption... all you need is to "know a guy", whether a work buddy who will vouch for you regardless of ability or an "auditor-for-hire" who will vouch for you if the price is right. Too easy to game the system.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Unlike the current system of course :D

Oh and ok proctured exams cost more, but a £15k MCA or £10k Master cert ? Kinda one extreme to another, £88 to £15k don't ya think ?

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Interesting post as a lot has been said and stated well with clarity. However, when rubber meets the road it is the hands on experience that majority of employers are interested in.

The cert be it hard copy or transcript copy is just evidence as well as a way to filter for potential candidates for interviews.

I am only really working on getting the MCSE 2003 owing to the above. Moreover am quite happy to just keep abreast with new and emerging technology as appropriate to my career line and or progression.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. BosonMichael

At least it won't cost as much! :thumbleft

Qualified evaluators ain't cheap, dude.

In any case, few people are going after the Master and Architect certs... and it's no wonder why.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. BosonMichael

Anything printed on paper, whether certificate or transcript, is subject to forgery. That's why any employer worth his/her salt will request online verification of a candidate's credentials.

8. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

and of course nobody ever managed to put together a phising site and a dodgy DNS entry ?

HTML, now thats impossible to fake !

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

BS ALERT!!! BS ALERT!!! :biggrin

What happens if the candidate doesnt care about their carbon footprint and wants a certificate? No harm in that as it should just be an option if you want the paper cert sent out or not, leave the decision to the candidate that has forked out £80 for the exam.

Wonder if Universities and Colleges are going to do the same thing? It would make graduation day rather dull if you turned up to collect nothing. :biggrin

It’s all about saving the environment people. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I avoided both of my graduation ceremonies, I guess at least I can say I was 'going green' instead of being a miserable git ! :D

I guess I can always photoshop a picture of me dressed as batman with a roll of paper and print it out myself... now thats saving the environment !

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL! :biggrin

I missed mine as well, I was on holiday and couldnt be bothered with it anyways. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. BosonMichael

To fake a certification to an employer? I seriously doubt it! :D

Besides, if they can do that, they probably don't need the certs!

13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Maybe it would be easy to game the system, but at least there would be a trail leading back to the responsible people. As it stands now you can download a BD off the net, pass the exam and there's no trail. If you get the job and someone has to sign off that you can do the work then there's a traceable trail leading back to that person.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. BosonMichael

There's a trail leading to the responsible people who enable braindump companies to gather their content... but you see what little has been done on that front! :rolleyes: How would this be different?

And if you think there's no trail with downloaded BDs, I've got a huge surprise for you. :)

15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Surprise me, please.:ohmy

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. BosonMichael

Let's just say that IP addresses are trackable (as you know). How they could possibly get that information, I'll leave to your imagination. :disguise

17. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

BOO !!!

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  18. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Shipping and Handling are $9.95 USD for the first certificate and $0.99 USD for each additional certificate up to 6 total certificates. An Express Shipping option is available for an additional fee. During Checkout, you can view the Express Shipping costs by selecting the Express Shipping option in the Shipping Method section

Link - not expensive at all really, if you really want it!

19. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

'tis true at many levels.
    I'm an NVQ assessor and I can tell you that the NVQ assessment process is harder work for the assessor than it is for the candidate.
    All the candidate has to do is go about their daily business.
    The assessor has to write everything up, dot the 'i's and cross the 't's, then go looking for any missing evidence.
    Slip someone a few quid and all of a sudden the whole thing is LESS reliable than an invigilated exam, not more so.

Whenever people get involved things get prone to being messed about.

I first heard about BD's from an MCT...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD