Microsoft Hyper-V workshop

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Theprof, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Today I went for a full day to a Microsoft Hyper-V workshop. Since we're running VMWare ESX at work I wanted to see how much Hyper-V has developed. To be quite honest, I was really impressed how far Hyper-V has come... I remember a few years back when we were researching virtualization, Hyper-V could not meet our standards due to the lack of SAN support.... This has now changed since the the HP P4000 SAN solution.

In the workshop we basically played around with the SCVMM and did a few things like Live Migration (vmotion in ESX), did some DR and HA stuff... The fact that you can have an unlimited amount of licenses with the Windows Server 2008 Data Center license is definitely pretty cost effective if you're running quite a few VMs...

To be quite honest I still prefer the VMWare ESX over Hyper-V however what I find kind of interesting and I seem to be hearing this a lot lately is that Microsoft is investing more money in R&D for Hyper-V than VMWare makes in profit, with such funding I am curious to see where Hyper-V will be in a few years from now.

I am no expert in virtualization, I am a beginner but I definitely think this is a great field to be in and very interesting.

Edit... forgot to add this event is sponsored by HP and to be quite honest, this should have taken place over 2 days instead of 1, there a lot of information to take in and although I learned a lot, I would of probably benefited more by having an extra day of labs and theory.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Hyper-V as a product is getting there, it's just not there yet.

There are certain things that HV does that I really like (differencing disks are just GREAT) but like you the vSphere client is much better (and in my opinion easier to learn and understand). I am in the process of trying to move my client from a purely physical environment over to a partially physical\virtual one. My VOS of choice.. vSphere.

I think that given another 3 - 5 years and the market place will be lead by just two vendors, MS and VMware, I think that whilst Citrix has a great product in Xen, they themselves admit and understand that Hyper-V is going to be bigger than them and will slowly move towards just producing products that compliment Hyper-V rather than competing against it (after all, they already produce Citrix Essentials for Hyper-V).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA