'Microsoft Extends Windows XP Downgrade Option to 2020'

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by jo74, Jul 13, 2010.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

From

http://www.trustedreviews.com/softw...xtends-Windows-XP-Downgrade-Option-to-2020/p1

I've seen a few threads and posts on here pondering whether it's still worth doing the MCDST in XP.:biggrin

According to this article 'Having discovered that a mind numbing 74 per cent of businesses still run Windows XP as their main OS and that their computers are an average of 4.4 years old, Microsoft has announced it has pretty much abandoned the idea of ever retiring the platform.'

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IMO, it's still worth doing the MCDST especially if the organisation that you work for is using XP.

One thing to point out, just because the XP downgrade option will be extended, doesn't mean that hardware vendor will continue to produce/release XP drivers for it...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Definitely worth doing the MCDST if you're in desktop support. IMHO, XP will be the corporate desktop for many years to come. There's no point rolling out Windows 7 if you don't need any of the features - and I can't see a single one that the vast majority of businesses will need. the only argument I can make is that Win 7 64-bit dumps all over XP 64-bit, but the only reason the average desktop user would ever need a 64-bit OS would be to address more than 4Gb of RAM... and how many 'average' desktop users do you know who need to run more than 4Gb of RAM? :biggrin

All the 'features' MS spouts about Win 7 usability are a liability anyway - who wants to have to educate users about all the stupid little niggles in Win 7 (you know, crap they learnt years ago and don't NEED to re-learn just because MS wants to make the OS look like you bought it from Toys R Us). New taskbar! Wow! New 'Libraries' feature! Double Wow!

Don't get me wrong - I quite like Windows 7. I STILL prefer XP though - and that's after using 7 for over a year as my main desktop O/S.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

your just old
    like XP
    ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Agreed I have xp and win 7 but what do I use the most? XP

The MCDST is totally worth it, not every organization can afford to move to a new OS just because MS decide to release a new one or stop supporting an old one.

My company for instance uses XP and win2k3 and there is no plans to change that. We still run some of the trendsetters with server 2000 and we have a standalone piece of crap running windows 95.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It's quite funny because all the companies I have worked with over the last 18 - 24 months have either migrated to Vista or Windows 7, even public sector clients. I don't know many clients that I have worked with in the last 3 years that stuck with Windows XP, I certainly stopped using it 6 months after Vista launched (gave the drivers time to mature), since 7 came out I haven't even touched Vista.

My next client deployment for SCCM 2007 is Windows 7\Office 2010 based and that's an NHS Trust.

I must admit however that the MCDST is a worthwhile exam for those who want\need it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Like the others said, if you plan to do desktop support, go for it.

Personally I found that an MCDST was one of the easier exams to pass. Of course your mileage may vary, but if you put a few months aside for it and study hard, you'll have a nice little cert under your belt, which can be upgraded to equivalent Vista or 7 certifications via the upgrade track.

It's always nice to have a few extra cert taxonomies under your belt in a relatively effortless manner :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  8. Enigma101

Enigma101 Bit Poster

XP will be around for a while although finding drivers for new hardware will make it obsolete, i am already finding this with many new workstations on test.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
    Certifications: 70-270 70-290
    WIP: MCSE
  9. Enigma101

Enigma101 Bit Poster

Migrated to Vista...Why?

I dont know anyone who is using it in a network environment:eek:

Certifications: 70-270 70-290
    WIP: MCSE
  10. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

I work with a few very large UK retailers.
    One of these only finished the XP rollout in the last few years!
    Vista and 7 aren't even on the horizon yet.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

That made me laugh.... now I'm getting funny looks.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I would pick windows 7 over XP any day to be honest... I use Win 7 Pro 32bit at work and win 7 utlimate x64 at home... I can do everything in 7 that I do in XP and yes there are some incompatibilities with windows 7 with older apps... but that is really never an issue for me.

As for the MCDST, I still suggest to get it because it is still widely recognized, just like the MCSA/E vs MCITP... every where I looked companies are still listing MCDST, MCP, MCSA/E as a preferred cert.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Some companies are, noticed it when I was doing a few server migration contracts.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs