Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 - Roles

Discussion in 'Software' started by onoski, Apr 6, 2011.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi All,

We have finished setting up our exchange server 2007 and currently in the process of migrating users mailbox from exchange server 2000.

I would like to know what would be the appropriate access right or permission to assign to our service desk team.

I have assigned them to the "Exchange Recipient Administrator" role, but feel this is still quite high up the rank in terms of permissions.

Our service desk duties include creating new user accounts and setting up e-mail accounts etc. However, I don't feel too confident about our service desk having this role and am not sure if the "Exchange View Only Administrator" role would be much suitable.

In main time I have downloaded and installed the "Exchange 2007 Management Tools" 32 bit edition on our service desk users computers to allow easy mailbox administration from exchange server 2007. This is brilliant as they wouldn't have to logon directly to the exchange server.

Thanks in advance as well as for your comments:)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
    Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

As the name suggests, "View-Only" is just that, you can see the configuration information related to Exchange 2007, but you cannot modify things. It won't work for you in your case.

Recipient Admin is what you'll want to use. It does give some elevated rights on things such as public folders, but you can do some changes to get rid of these (not really recommended). You can give the individual rights if you play around with delegation, but it's a lot of work.

If you wanted to really go into a fine-tuned Exchange delegation, you would install Exchange 2010 and use RBAC. With this, you could delegate a single person the rights to manage a single portion of exchange on a single server if you wanted to. Much, much more powerful than 2007.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the pointers, Shinigami:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell