microsoft exams which 1?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by ryuturk, Nov 24, 2007.

1. ryuturk

ryuturk New Member

i heard that microsoft do exams and i was lead to believe that the first one was the desktop support exam. i was then informed that it was better just to do the xp exam the 20-720 exam - is this correct and if so where is the best place to get the material - the notes & some past papers? can i download them as i dont wish to pay for the course i just want to st the exam and study for it myself

any help would be much appreiated,

thanks

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

If you are new to IT and have no experience in the work place, I would say you should start with the compTIA A+ certification then proceed to compTIA N+ before moving on to Microsoft exams the Microsoft exam you should do is MCDST (Microsoft desktop support).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. greenbrucelee

Just to add

You can do all these exams by self study, i.e you buy the relevant books to study from then when you are ready you book the exam or exams and take them.

You asked if you can download free material to study from, you can but that material is usually whats known as a braindump which is cheating because they give you the real answers, but if compTIA or Microsoft believed you had passed your exam by cheating then they can get you de certified for life.

You can however download study aids from preplogic or transcender or Boson and cramsessions they are legit.

4. ryuturk

ryuturk New Member

i work in it support and have done for a year now i jus want some certifications so i can change my job

5. greenbrucelee

Then you should do the compTIA A+, N+ then MCDST.

The books you need for the A+ are compTIA A+ all in one exam guide by Mike Meyers and PC Technician Street Smarts by James Pyles.

The first book will teach all you need to know for the two A+ exams and the second is sort of like a lab book to practice stuff.