Microsoft Certificates

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by BamBam, Apr 5, 2006.

1. BamBam

BamBam New Member

I recently purchased Windows XP and 20 user licences from a software company for our network. I also purchased server 2003 with 20 user licences. I recieved the original discs and was then e-mailed the product keys??

My question is:

Should i have been given a certificate for each of the 20 users it covers for both the peices of software and a certificate for the server software? I remember thats how it used to work.

Any help appreciated.

Tim

WIP: MCSA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest it depends on what licence program you bought.

I work in an educational establishment, so we subscribe (we also sometimes buy) licences in bulk thru our retailer (i.e. Dabs or Civica). We get the disc's in the mail and an e-mail with a licence number and an authorisation number. We then have to go on to https://eopen.microsoft.com/EN/default.asp to register both these licence numbers to get the product key(s). A couple of days later you'll get a letter from Microsoft stating your licence and authorisation number.

If you bought all of the above individually shrink-wrapped off the shelf, then yes, you should get a licence inside the box (from what I can remember).

So like I said, it really does depend on the type of licence you bought. Hope this helps.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BamBam

BamBam New Member

thanks for that, it may be that it's just the communication from Microsoft that i'm missing. My concern is that at the moment i have the software and i have some product keys, but i don't have anything to suggest that i bought them legally. I'll keep digging. Thanks again.

WIP: MCSA