Microsoft Action Pack

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Sparky, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Recieved mine a few days ago and what an excellent piece of kit it is too. Infact anyone on the Microsoft cert trail for £240 i would say this was an essential tool for studying.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  2. np3893

np3893 Bit Poster

Hi

Any of you guys know what the difference between Technet Plus and the Action Pack is

NP

Certifications: BSc, A+, MCSA 2k3, 70-293
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

This has been asked before on another thread.
    Try searching - I can't remeber what we said now...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

the price, i think! Technet Plus might have more support advantages to be fair - let me know if you do find out!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yeah, I get sent coasters each month. Don't know how many cuppas they think I have each day!

7. Crito

Crito Banned

Thanks for tip on the action pack. Used to get technet but it didn't come with a SQL Server license. That alone covers the price of admission. Plus now I'll finally get to check out Vista -- beta wouldn't install on my new PC and none of my clients are using it, so I haven't actually tried it yet myself. :oops:

BTW, action pack is $299.00 in the USA, plus your state's sales tax.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  8. Crito

Crito Banned

Package just arrived. Vista is an upgrade and doesn't include a copy of Visual Studio 2005. Otherwise just about everything I could imagine (and a few things I'd never heard of before too!)

Think I'm going to replace the mobo in a flakey XP box/paperweight I have laying here then immediately upgrade the machine to Vista. If I'm lucky that'll let my bypass the reactivation process. ;)

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's all good - but I never understood why they didn't include Visual Studio...

You can get you hands on that via MSDN - and it has a built in key which doesn't require activation. Cough :blink .

But, hey, kids, always remember to read the terms and conditions and protect intellectual property as you would protect your own buttocks.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Have a look here if you wanna clean install vista from your upgrade disc. http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  11. Crito

Crito Banned

Yeah, looks like I'm going to need MSDN too. :oops:

As a side note, SQL Server 2005 Standard DVD came with SP1 already applied, so hopefully the next one will have SP2. 8)

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey guys I was looking into singing up for the Action pack but it asks for a company name, etc. The thing is I don't have a company so I have nothing to put there. I know some of you did it and I was just wondering for those who don't own a company how did you manage to sign up? I don't want to put down fake name for a company, etc. I want to get it the legal way.

Thanks.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I do consulting services as myself under my own name. Thus, I put down my name as my business name. As long as you REALLY provide IT services as yourself, it's legal to do so.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thanks Michael.

The thing is I dont really consult at the moment, I just want to use to study for certs and for practice when time comes to use this kind of stuff at work. I guess technically I would have to register a name as a company name then it would be ok.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The terms of the licensing specify that you have to provide IT services. If you meet these eligibility requirements, you're good to go:

If not... then that's what TechNet Direct is for. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!