Microserver N40L for home lab?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamin100, Mar 26, 2012.

1. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Im at the point where I want to move all my "testing" machines off my imac and onto a dedicated server.
    Do any of you have a home lab for testing / studying with?

Im toying with the idea of getting a Microserver, installing 8GB RAM and ESXI to get some client server testing going.

I also need a file server to act as a backup for my imac so thinking of the following

ESXI
    VM WHS for backing up my imac
    2 VM Server 2008R2
    2 VM Client OS's (probably W7)

Would this work on the microserver? The bottle neck im guessing will be the CPU. The only server with any substantial load on it would be the WHS as its backing up the imac. But backups wouldnt be run at the same time as im working on the other virtual machines...

Cost and size of the machine are big factors. I live in a 3 bed semi and have 3 young children so things need to be hidden and the microserver would fit nicely into a sideboard.

Ideally id get a ML110 G6 but i think its just going to be too big :(
    any thoughts?

WIP: 70-680
  2. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Why dont you buy 2 microservers?? It would roughly cost the same price after the cashback on the HP NL40's.
    Upgrade both to 8GB and have one as a backup server for your imac and have the other as a test envinorment.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  3. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Just cost to be honest.
    I could pheraps move to this kind of setup further down the line but at the moment I just couldnt afford it.

After cashback the server and added ram would come to £160

EDIT:
    Ive just come across the ML115 G5 which has a dual core AMD 2.2 CPU. They go for around £60ish on eBay.
    I know they are not small but would one server the purposes I require?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
    WIP: 70-680
  4. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

i have the HP ProLiant Athlon II Neo N36L MicroServer with 8Gb memory and 2 x 2TB HHD. running ESXi with 2 x Server 2008R2. It can get a bit slow when unload but it is ideal for a test rig. server 1 has Exchange 2010, server 2 is used as file/print server.

You said about cost, given the low cost to run it has already paid for itself in 1 year I have been using it over the old pc I had been using.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  5. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Yeah, the microservers cost nothing at all to run compared to normal servers. I would suggest getting an NL40 and seeing how it runs with 8GB ram and ESXi and then if you need another, save up for one or buy the £60 ebay server but be prepared to pay extra each month in bills.

I just use my NL40 for Windows Server 2008R2, its only got 3GB ram and i just use it for a file server at the minute but going to be running a few VM's on it soon for FreeNAS and a firewall along with a linux distro as a test/learning lab.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +