Microprocessors on the A+ (Headache)

Discussion in 'A+' started by Dullage, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Hi People,

Just got through Chapter 3 (Microprocessors) of the Mike Meyers A+ book and I've come out the otherside with a headache. Its not that I dont understand, it just seems to me A LOT of information about the history of CPU and specs of previous models?

I understand the need to know which CPU is compatible with which Socket/Motherboard, but is knowing all the specs for different CPUs necessary? Or is this just FYI information?

P.S. I'm a newbie to forum posting so to avoid upsetting anyone (I get the feeling that the decision to start a new thread shouldn't be taken lighlty?) I posted this in the Off Topic section, is this right?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Just to let you know, I moved this from the Off Topic to the A+ forum since it seemed to be "more at home" here. :wink:

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

someone asked the exact same question a few months back in this forum,it helps to know this stuff,but you'll be lucky to get one question on this subject in exam 1.

Simpler way to do it is learn the basics about pentium 1/2/3 and 4 ,which speed they began and ended production at ,and also amd duron and athlon xp/barton,where they began and ended.
    Knowing the front side bus operating speed of a few of these cpus wouldn't do any harm either.
    For amd they are nearly all 133/266 mhz

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  4. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

Best to read about the Intel 8088 processor, so that there's less to take in, and anything further you learn is simply enhanching on what you've learnt. I'd do a search online about the 8088 one, and read about it. The simplier you keep it, the easier it is to add onto the more advanced updated features & functions of CPU's

The historical aspects are always important, or even vital in some cases for complete beginners, and doesn't hurt by reading them. I always feel each chapter should be read, and read again on points that sound confusing, then do the end of review chapter questions (on the Mike Meyers AIO sixth edition guide) and keep going all the way through while noting down each set of chapter questions, then do a re-cap of what sections you need to put full effort on

When dealing with Microprocessors, I found it easier to learn the basics, from the most simplistic and easy to understand concept, which came from the very first kinds of CPU's (eg: Intel 8088) which wasn't tooo advanced, and was slightly easy and easier to follow, then once I fully understood exactly how it worked and how they communicated via the External Data Bus years ago on simplier machines, it was then and "only" then that I was able to feel confident enough in my own ability to learn the more current Microprocessor functions, and advancments. Don't learn full specs until you can master the rest

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  5. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Sorry for not thanking you guys earlier, broken PC!! (It wasn't me ;-p).

About half way through the book now and its all making sense, I think the problem was that chapter opened up loads of questions that wern't answered until a few chapters later (Kinda through me off).

Thanks again.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +