Michael Meyers new edition?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Stopi, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Stopi

Stopi New Member

Hi everyone, im just about to embark on a self study course for A+.
    I'm gonna purchase *A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide*
    do you think that this will be enough to help me attain my A+?
    Also, i see there is quite afew books available from Mike Meyers, which ones do you guys feel are the best choice and the latest releases.
    Thankyou in advance.
    Chris

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thats all you need! Its pretty big dont worry! a new edition is out in october but if you starting right now thats still the best bet.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

That book will be all that you will need, but I would just add in that you should never rely fully on one source of information for your studies. Make sure that you make ful use of the mighty Google and research up on anything that you are struggling with.

8)

4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

..and you can use CF aswell if your stuck...

5. Stopi

Stopi New Member

Thx alot for the help guys!!
    No doubt i'll be askin you guys questions soon as i've read throu the 1st couple of pages. Lmao.. :oops:

6. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

It's all in there Stoppi,just about every detail you're likely to need to pass your A+ exam.

The book splits each chapter into sections,usually "historical" and "Test specific".Don't be tempted to skip the historical stuff as it provides a good grounding for the stuff you learn further on in the chapters.There's a lot to learn in that book and you can be tested on any or all of it in an exam,so take your time reading it,undertsand the detail and use the chapter tests and the free tests on the CD to help you along.

Good luck and welcome to the A+.. 8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  7. Stopi

Stopi New Member

Thx Malnomates.
    I read here in the forums that some ppl use old *banger rigs* for ripping apart then rebuilding to help them with their A+.(which is a good idea)
    The question is this..How old are we talkin about? do i need to go backwards to motherboards with isa slots and sdram, or can i go back to say around a P3 skt 370 days that uses pci and agp.
    I ask this because ive got a few old cpu's kicking around here (socket 370 P3's) somewhere so all i will need is the old *banger motherboard* to suit..
    Also, has pciX been added or does it get mentioned in the A+ exam/self study books..
    Sorry if my questions are abit trivia compared to others, i'm just trying to paint a clearer picture so that i can plan for the road ahead..
    Thx again :biggrin

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

But don't ask me anything, brain like a sieve and also sawdust thrown in for good measure. :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO expect a question on any Pentium class machine, so ISA is a possibility.

As to PCI-X and PCI-E (they are *not* the same!) I severely doubt you will get any questions on those - MM has them as 'Beyond A+'. However - to modify that a bit - CompTIA say they will add new questions which are not marked to the mix, so it is just possible there might be reference to them.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+