Meyers OR McGraw-Hill?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by aestudiar, Mar 24, 2010.

1. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

The title says it all.
    Which book in your opinion/experience is the most comprehensive?
    * CompTIA Network+ Certification Study Guide, Fourth Edition
    * CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Fourth Edition
    :blink

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Not used Mcgraw/hill but Mike Meyers is leading authority on the A+ and I used his book so I'd stick with his books.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for Mike Meyers. The McGraw-Hill might be sufficient, but I *know* that the Meyers book is solid. Why mess with a tried and true solution? :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Col

Col Byte Poster

Meyers got me through my A+ and Network+, so he definitely gets my vote too...

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Without a doubt I'd recommend the Meyers book.

6. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

I'll get 'Uber-geek' Mike's then :D

7. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Good :) I used the Mike Meyers for my Network+ and it covered everything that came up in my exam at least!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  8. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

One last thing before I embark upon this quest for knowledge: is it NECESSARY to have some experience prior studying for Network+?

9. BosonMichael

CompTIA recommends it, but to be honest, the stuff covered in Network+ is something that I would expect anyone going into IT to already know. So, in my opinion, Network+ is an entry-level certification. And this coming from someone who constantly preaches "experience before certification!" :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

Thanks. Which of the certificate/qualification in your long list of accomplishments are you most proud of? Which one was the hardest to obtain? :onthePC

11. BosonMichael

Most proud of? I've not really looked at it in that way. All my certifications either validate experience that I've already got and/or cover practice exams that I've created. And it's the experience and the practice exams that I'm proud of.

Which one was the hardest to obtain? Probably the OCP; even though I wrote practice exams for the OCP, I don't have any real-world experience administering Oracle databases. That said, I don't go around advertising to employers that I'm an "Oracle DBA". ;)

12. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

Thanks.
    Another thing, do you also consider Security+ to be entry level?
    I'd like to get that one too :D

13. BosonMichael

I don't. I'd probably recommend it after administering servers for a short time.

14. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

Hi again.
    Is there something to do practice tests? A la 'Cram practice tests'?

Also, is 'The Ultimate CompTIA Network+ 2009 Resource Kit', by Course Technology, any good?

Cheers.

15. BosonMichael

You mean, like the ones sold by my employer? :)

No idea. I know the Meyers' book works; why risk trying an unknown option when you've got a known good option?

16. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I have the 2005 version of the book that comes in that kit. It was ok. Not the best but worth the pick up as a secondary source if you can find it cheap. Of course the 2009 version may be better or worse.

As for practice tests I bought my test voucher from total seminars and that came bundled with a number of practice tests. I thought they were pretty good quality tests unfortunately if you aren't in the US or Canada the vouchers would not be valid.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  17. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

Just because there doesn't seem to be any cram practice exam books, and that one has lots of questions. :)
    PS Which ones do you sell? Are they any good? <I expect unbiased comment> :D

18. BosonMichael

I would have thought my username would have revealed the name of my employer...

Are they any good? Of course they are. That's why I work here instead of for the competition (who I used to work for).