Merry Christmas Everyone

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by stumpy, Dec 6, 2006.

1. stumpy

stumpy Bit Poster

First of all im new to this so a very merry christmas to you all.Im at the usual crossroads i.e do i do home study or distance learning courses but i wont do your heads in with that!.Im looking at studying for CompTIA +,MCSE,MCSA possibly Security + and MCDST.Any advice on these would be a brucie bonus i.e which should i study first,which is the easiest etc.Hope to hear back from you.
    Cheers
    Danny

Certifications: 10m swimming cert!!
    WIP: most of them
  2. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hi stumpy,

Welcome to the forum.:biggrin

Looking at the list of certs you mention, the most common progression is to start with the CompTIA A+ to strengthen your basic concept understanding, then moving on to the Security+ or the MCDST-----> MCSA----> MCSE..

For more details on Specific Cert, pop along to the various threads on this board. In there you will find details of what books to buy, the best resources available and many helpful individuals who will answer any questions you may have.

Have a look around and enjoy:thumbleft

:oops: Forgot to mention, If you're looking to do the MCSA 2003 and the CompTIA A+ then you may want to look at the CompTIA Network+ as the A+ & N+ can be used as an elective exam towards your MCSA

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  3. stumpy

stumpy Bit Poster

Thanks for replying.Just need to find the best way for me to do this now.Im unemployed at the moment so i can mainly focus on getting myself qualified do you think it would be possible to get through everything ive said in 1yr?Of course this means a lot of work put in by myself but i am totally focused on getting qualified so putting time in shouldnt be a problem.What do you think?Hope to hear from you soon
    Cheers
    Danny

4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello & Merry Christmas:fatherxma

You've chosen a long hard road ahead of you. If you are serious about going into the IT World. I would recommend you do a bit of soul searching before parting with any money or losing time in the wrong direction.8)

Are creative? - if so what about Web design?
    Are you practical and love problem solving, building PC's, then you will need Comptia A+.
    Do you like playing LAN games or setting up networks?
    Can you program?

When you work out what your skills and interest are in IT then you will now where to start your journey and be in a position to find which Certifications are needed.

Good Luck

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I think a year for all of the above you mentioned will be really tough mate, unless ya have a really good understanding of the subjects already

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I always suggest self-study methods.

Go for the A+ first - CompTIA recommends that certification for entry-level folks. Then, get you an entry-level IT job. While you build experience and acquire new responsibilities in your job, continue getting certifications.

Doing all those certifications in a year is a tall order. Perhaps it would be best if you get your feet wet first, then revisit your timetable.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

I can only echo the above.

Another point is that when you've passed your A+ and get an entry level job they may well pay for your training or if not at least your exam costs. (Well that's what any decent company who values their staff would do)

Go for it.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  8. stumpy

stumpy Bit Poster

Hi all thanks for your opinions they are much appreciated and as for me doing them in a year i must admit i thought i was pi**ing in the wind with that one but just thought id ask anyway because you never know!.Ive been reading on all the courses for a couple of months now and i just want to get as many certs as i can for employment and of course financial reasons.The thing is im interested in pretty much everything to do with I.T which is a pain in my arse as everything seems to float my boat so to speak.Does anyone know what employers are crying out for most in the I.T world??Maybe icould go down that road and work my way up.Hope to hear back from you.
    Many Thanks
    Danny

9. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Merry Christmas dude! :biggrin

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Employers are crying out for people who know what they're doing. Far too many people are employed in IT, but don't know what the heck they're doing.

My advice: don't go after the "next big thing" or "IT trend" to maximize your career or salary. Do what you enjoy doing, and the money will come... simply because you will do well what you are passionate about doing.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. stumpy

stumpy Bit Poster

Thanks and i have to agree with you in the fact that there is nothing better than getting paid(well) for something you enjoy doing.Im sure i will know when i actually start the courses what aspects i will enjoy doing the most.BRING IT ON!!.I would just like to say that i have only been on here since yesterday and the advice given has been very good so i would just like to say thank you to everyone for being so helpful and you should all be proud of yourselves.I know when i know what im talking about i will be helping others so keep it up!!
    Cheers
    Danny