Memory.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keithmoon, Jan 17, 2010.

1. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

I was fixing a customers computer today after they called up reporting a no signal error message on screen. Once I booted the machine up i was given post beeps of 3 short. I opened the machine up and removed one of the ram sticks , rebooted , and it went through post fine and windows booted up. I figured it was a bad ram stick but thought id remove the other stick that was present and replace it with the one i had removed. strangely the machine went through post and booted up fine again???
    anyone seen this before?
    cheers all

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have seen this before but can be different problems causing it.

was the ram a matched set? and was it running in dual channel? (if yes to both then not whats below)

I have seen ram that is not a matched pair (although the user thought it was) set for dual channel and when the system was powered on there were voltage issues that damaged the ram.

Other ones

Check the BIOS for the voltages on the ram and see if it is set at what the manufacturer states for the ram. It could be the the motgherboard is detecting wrong type of ram.

ESD causing damage to dimm slots that has in turn damaged the dimm inserted into it.

Crap power supplies over volting the dimm slots but not all the time.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As said many things could be causing this. Is there an update to the BIOS available? I have seen this problem with a server before and when I flashed the BIOS to the latest version it sorted it.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

cheers for the replys guys 8)

on asking her for anymore info she said it wouldnt switch on at all for a couple of days a few weeks ago but she left it for a week and it powered up fine ??

power supply problems ?

5. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

I recently had exact the same problem, removed a stick and i thought it was a bad ram module, then the server crashed again so i tried the other stick on it's own and it booted up, it could be the PSU.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
    Certifications: A+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Could be a power supply issue then. Generic systems like dells, compaqs etc use low quality power supplies so this could be the issue. Also on generic systems using all of the slots can cause voltage issues which can cause issues such as this.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?