Memory Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Johnd76, May 27, 2011.

1. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I just recieved my 2GB memory from crucial, installed it and just recieve a blank screen when turning on the laptop. I have swapped the old ones about with the new one but the same, soon as i put the 2 old ones back in laptop works!

is it me or could the new memory be faulty?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Or incompatible. Double check this type of RAM can be installed in your laptop, some manufacturers prefer to sell their "tried and tested" RAM because generic stuff may 'just' not work as expected even if it's practically the same thing.

Reseat the new ram a few times to give the contacts a chance to break in a little. They may have a fine layer of industrial dust which is making it difficult for them to get the contact they need with the memory slot pins.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

as well as what configuration the mainboard will accept them in, limits etc. check laptop manufacturer site for support info

Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646
  4. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the replys lads...the problem is or was that i used the system scanner on the crucial website which said i could have a maximum of 4GB but the scanner was inacurate and i can only have 2 GB.

phoned crucial and they are refunding my money (can't complain).

a mistake on my part and on the scanner so its something to be aware of on the crucial system scanner.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

the best thing about crucial is there 100% money back guarantee, nothing to loose :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. kfoulks2011

kfoulks2011 Bit Poster

sad to say the same thing happened to me, but lucky enough i caught it before i ordered it. crucial said i could support 4gb on a customers computer but it would only support 2gb. i would recommend a program called (i think) system information for windows. you can find it by googling "SIW". will be the top link. this program is a tiny file that you run and it give you tons of info about specifics on any computer. you can even put it on a flash drive and execute it from the flash drive.

the program will tell you what your computer can support,and what it currently has installed. it also tells you what type of ram whether it be ddr2 or ddr3 and what speeds you can support. great little program and best of all, its freeware. im not advertising this program but i would recommend it to avoid this in the futute.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: 70-680
  7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

<rant>
    That's the one typo/grammar mistake/ignorance that winds me up.
    Lose=scoring less than your competitor, not having something you had before
    Loose=Wonky, doesn't fit, rattles about a bit when it shouldn't
    </rant>

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

who cares, get a grip

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  9. kfoulks2011

kfoulks2011 Bit Poster

this isnt really relative to this topic and im sorry. but raffaz where did u get that picture showing your certifications?

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: 70-680
  10. voipstnd

voipstnd New Member

It is important to remember that the below issues can also be caused by more than just bad memory.
    Computer does not boot, instead you get a beep code.
    Random computer crashes causing BSOD, General Protection Fault error messages, Illegal Operations, Fatal Exceptions, etc.
    Computer random reboots.
    Installing Windows or another program fails.

11. Net

Net New Member

Incompatibility was the first word that came to my mind after reading your problem. Rarely can a new memory be faulty, atleast I never found one. I have the experience of burning a couple of them myself though. Its great that crucial is refunding your entire money.