memory leakage

Discussion in 'A+' started by clueless, Mar 6, 2006.

1. clueless

clueless New Member

Can anyone give me some tips on trying to remeber stuff like the osi model ,irq's,dma's,etc.Then i might be able to change my name from clueless to somthing realy cool (sugestions welcome) :cry:

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Well - for me having to remember OSI was *relatively* recent, and I use the mnemonic "All people seem to need data processing"

Taking the initial letters as a cue "Application Presentation Session Transport Network Data-Link Physical".

The IRQs and DMAs I admit are a problem. For DMA only one matters any longer - the floppy - all the rest are history.

The IRQs, particularly those for the COM ports I always have trouble with!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

lol.

Learning by rote, unfortunately!

There are certain 'tags' people use to remember the 7 layers of the OSI model.

"All People Seem To Need Data Processing" (7-1)

"Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizzas Away" (1-7)

"Pew! Dead Ninja Turtles Smell Particularly Awful" (1-7)

None of which were invented by myself :)

For DMA, IRQ and I/O Base numbers, I literally have them pinned on the wall by my PC desk. Whenever I glance away, they're there. And I gave similar lists to the guy I sit next to at work. Every so often he'll turn to me and go "What IRQ is the RTC?". I'll look stunned for a second, and then remember I asked him to pop quiz me :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, that's all I have to suggest! Good luck :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Can't really ad any more- just keep reading and looking at flash cards :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

To learn the IRQ's and DMA's I just wrote them down every day. First you have to look but then after a couple of days you get them off the top of your head.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

What course are you studying Clueless? OSI never popped up on my A+ course but the N+ is pretty much built on it!

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I'm glad you asked Deckard as Meyers barely touches on the OSI model so I haven't bothered revising it for my exam next week.

What I did for the IRQs was this: on a little slip of paper write each IRQ on one side and the component that uses it on the other. Put them all in a hat, pull them out one-by-one and read the side that comes out first and remember what is written on the other. Sometimes I have to match the IRQ to the component, sometimes vice-versa.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

OK.Maybe I can help a little with trying to remember IRQ's..

Remember this...4 3 4 3 7 5

COM 1 - IRQ 4
    COM 2 - IRQ 3
    COM 3 - IRQ 4
    COM 4 - IRQ 3
    LPT 1 - IRQ 7
    LPT2 - IRQ 5

4 3 4 3 7 5

The remaining IRQ's will fall into place around the,try it my friend.

For addresses remember this 3 2 3 2 3 2 FF EE

COM 1 - 3FH8
    COM 2 - 2FH8
    COM 3 - 3EH8
    COM 4 - 2EH8
    LPT 1 - 378
    LPT 2 - 278

3 2 3 2 3 2 FF EE

Hope this makes sense .. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ Network+
  9. unemployedstudent

unemployedstudent Byte Poster

What a great title, that's exactly how my mind works - or doesn't. I learn something from A+ and then forget a previous chapter. aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Mnemonics work for me, (that and spell checker). :D

Mother very thoughtfully made a jelly sandwich under no protest. (mercury, venus, terra, mars, asteroids, jupiter, saturn, uranus, neptune, pluto) - Good in astronomy classes. :knife

Certifications: BAISA(hons) Degree, ECDL.
    WIP: A+, CompTIA N+, CCNA
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Malnomates - well put !! That's how I remembered it for A+ (back in the day). I can still recall yet, proving the point that a well-devised method always sticks (as long as it suits you in the first place).

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. clueless

clueless New Member

Thanks for the tips,I'll try some of them out to see which ones work the best for me.The coures i'm doing is with computeach and at the end I'm supposed to be a senior networking proffessional.

12. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

LOL! i can guarantee you it wont make you a "senoir" NP. or have you that much experience under your belt?

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M