Melting battery cables

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Thanks Bill for advice, but I will stick with the interim solution just now as I will be replacing the car in the not too distant future anyway.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  2. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Can't say that I blame you. Finding a short in a car can be a lengthy process at times. No point in spending the extra time and money if you're replacing the car anyway.

3. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I'm not in any way correcting you here Bluerinse, but I thought it would be interesting to surmise why if we had the same 12V from a torch battery, or say eight 1.5V Duracell cells connected in series, the equation wouldn't work. A torch battery would obviously not produce 100's of Amps.

The difference is 'internal resistance' R2 :-

I = V / (R1 + R2)

where R1 = 'load' resistance

and R2 = internal resistance of battery

With a lead-acid car battery the internal resistance R2 is very low, whereas with a torch battery it is much higher and so much less current.

You can make your own battery at home using household materials. It gives about 0.6V.

The items needed are :-

Malt vinegar with some salt added (as electrolyte)

Paper towel (to separate the anodes/cathodes)

10 two pence copper coins (anodes)

10 tin foil discs (cathodes)

I have attached a photo of it. It supplied enough current to light up an LED in conjunction with a 1.5V cell (the LED won't light until it gets about 1.8 - 2.0V).

Attached Files:

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LOL that is the geekiest battery i've ever seen. very cool 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Ha! I learned about this in a book called The Dangerous Book For Boys (by Iggulden) which I bought for one of my nephews last Xmas. I was amazed it actually worked. This must surely rate pretty high on the 'Geekiness' scale - I mean how many people can say they've made their own battery!