Meet Manchesters Newest Web Designer

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jodsclass, Aug 1, 2006.

1. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Thanks guys for all your help and support. I landed pretty much my dream job as a web designer here in Manchester City Centre. Interviewed for it friday, and after a 2 hour interview sat in a coffee shop with the director and second in command I got the job. Just heard back this morning.

Thanks for all your help and support chaps. I never thought I could have acheived this, it really is a dream job for me.

I start on Monday, a few butterflies, but considering I was about to 'sign on' its a welcome relief. they even have me a desktop and laptop setup at a station ready for me to use. I feel like royalty.

ttfn chaps, and thanks so much

Jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Shweet! :biggrin :biggrin i think beer tonight is at jodsclass' Congrats man! Glad you finally made it!

Btw wasnt this job related to your degree??? :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Great news Jodsclass!

Congrats on landing the job. :thumbleft

you're not leaving us now that you've landed a job are you? :eek:

4. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Nope not leaving for good, just this arvo, and I will probably be unable to see come this evening. Down the pub I think. £18k a year starting is a damn sight more than £4k a year as a student so a huge celebration is in order methinks.

I am in no way leaving you guys for good, just this afternoon

jodsclass

5. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Yes, erm, it is. Just didn't think I would have a hope in hell against some of these uber talented Flash designers poping up everywhere. I'm old school, code and images, nothing fandangled. Justs so happens that my kind (coders, developers) get paid a damn site more than graphic web designers, and we are more in demand.

Hooray for geekiness

Jodsclass

6. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Great to hear!

You must be feeling like you've gone from one extreme to the other!

True about the web development being in more demand than the flash designer types. Gone are the days of clever looking sites with annoying navigation and load times.

It's all about simplistic design (so people can actually find the information they're looking for before clicking the back button), functionality and SEO now.

Congrats.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  7. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Cheers Pete.

yeah you hit the nail on the head there. Content rich sites are far more valuable to their owners than jumped up animations and videos. Flash has its place, but to build entire sites from it is not my cup of tea. Especially these ones where you click a link and you have to watch a stupid transistion to the next page with zapping sound effects and things twirling about. You know the kind.

So Excited. Just called the wife and she is over the moon. At last she doesnt have to cover my end financially too.

Things are looking up for lil old Jodsclass

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations :morebeer

Its too hot to drink this amount of alcohol :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Brilliant! congratulations

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Excellent news. Well done :thumbleft

Let us know how it goes on Monday.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Well Guys, its not what I thought it would be. The job I went in for was as a designer, and so far, I am working as a web developer. Spent 3 days solid developing in asp and php and I'm really not having fun. I am a designer, I do front ends, flash, graphics etc, and whilst i can develop, i don't enjoy it. The job I applied for was a design job, and its kinda like "well we need a developer more than a designer so your now developing". Quite misleading. I think I have come to the conclusion after working in tech support roles and design roles, that I prefer tech.

This brings me to the next dilhema. I am looking for another job, and I aint been here a week yet, which sucks. Now I am bringing in some cash which is good, but waking up in the morning thinking ah F%&K isnt great. I didnt apply to be a developer, and whats more, they aint paying me enough to develop.

I have applied for a ton of tech jobs today, and I'm praying that I will seem more attractive to prospective employers, as I am in work, but by the same token, i may appear like I am easily displaced, which may work against me. Any advice on what I should do? I have tried negotiating with the boss and they said that whilst they advertised for a designer, they felt i was a better developer, and better filled their needs. Its a joke. I would have been tempted to walk straight away if it wasnt for the fact that I need to pay the bills.

It all kinda seems like deception too, falsley advertising and recruiting for a posistion?

Thanks guys

Jodsclass

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

That is crafty of them, but i would stick at it- you might enjoy it eventually. If you can't hack it at least you have a job while looking for another.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

And even more beneficial - experience!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  14. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

Congratulations on getting your new job. I know how hard it can be to get one - its so rewarding when someone finalley gives you a chance isnt it?
    My advice would be to stick at it. You never know where it might lead and you may find you enjoy it just as much as designing after a while. At least give it a chance m8. :biggrin

15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just picked up on this thread, congrats on landing the job and I also know what you’re going through.

I moved to a IT support job a just over a year ago as it was a much bigger network and I was getting a £5k payrise! After about a week in the job I realised it wasn’t for me as I was doing helpdesk stuff and to be honest there wasn’t enough work to get through the day, 3 or 4 calls to be honest! Total joke!

Ended up leaving (redundancy) and now have a ace job (most of the time!)

My advice would be to update your C.V and apply for other jobs. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs