Me pay for replacement RAM??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelg24, Feb 7, 2006.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

We do not carry 128x8 but we do have a 64x8 that will work on your motherboard. There is an additional cost of $42 USD (this includes shipping). Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

this was the email I got from the people I bought a 1GB RAM stick from about 2 weeks ago. My mobo can only take 1GB sticks of over x8 and the one I bought was x4...so now they want me to pay for the replacement. Which I think is cr@p as even tho I didnt know it can only take x8 or higher until I checked on the MSI site after I tried the RAM. Now I dont know about you lot but I aint paying £23 for a replacement even if it is for the shipping and handling! So in response I wrote this:

I am sorry but I shall not pay for a replacement item. I already paid
    for the other item which is why I am returning it to you to get a
    replacement. I know you have a good reputation with your RAM sticks
    but this is starting to make me have doubts about whether I should buy
    more RAM from you in the future. I know I didnt fully read the specs
    of my motherboard until after I bought the item but again I dont see
    why I should have to fork out my own money to pay for a replacement.
    Maybe thats how it works in the US but over in the UK it is different.
    It is the suppliers responsibility to pay for the replacement that the
    customer has requested. The item itself is not faulty so therefore I
    do not see why it should be me paying for it. I do not want a refund
    as I am selling my existing RAM and need to have it posted very soon
    as I dont want to keep the buyer waiting any longer. So please I need
    the replacement but I will not pay for it. However, I am willing to
    pay about £10 ($18USD) for shipping and handling only! Since I already
    had to buy the first item and I had to pay my own postage to send it
    back I think its only fair that as a company you should pay for the
    shipping and handling fee as the item is not faulty. Thank you.

So can someone please tell me where did I go wrong and why I should be the one paying for a replacement item? I mean isnt it company policy that they should pay for it? After all the item isnt faulty if it was then I would understand about the charge. But I cant see why that should be the reason!! HELP!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

Did you specify to them the MOBO model? If so then I can see that they have a part to play. If you did not then the question to you is;

Did they deliver the item you ordered in good time and in good working condition?

If the answer is yes then, they have done what you paid them for, why should they fork out for YOUR mistake?

I can understand they trying all in their power to help you, but you cannot expect them, a company (with responsibilities to their share holders) to spend their money on your mistakes.

My view is you don't have a leg to stand on here.

My other point is you admitted in the email you were at fault.

In their situation, I would only help out if the item was faulty. I think you should just put it down to being a bugger up on your part and put it into that folder we all have called "Experiance".

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yes the item was in working order. ok so I didnt check the MSI website (and I am sure I never saw it there before!!) until after I tried the RAM...but still at the end of the day regardless of that I still dont see why I should have to pay for it when I already bought it in the first place. Its just a case of swapping the item and thats that! stating that it needs x8 or above was not even in the manual which is what I looked at before I bought the RAM. anyway if they reply and say they cant send it without me paying then on this occasion I will pay for it and as u say just put it down to experience...

4. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

I would imagine you have a certain number of days to return the item if your not happy. This will vary with different suppliers of course. But you would have to return the item, get a full refund and make a new order. I have never heard of a company paying the shipping, restocking fee's, etc, to replace a wrongly ordered item.

I think you paying for shipping would be the least you should offer.
    That, or get a full refund and make another order.

The bottom line mate is that it's your mistake and no company in the world is going to loose money to correct it.

And this goes over my head... :blink

Neall

WIP: A+
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I understand guys...i guess it was just me getting ahead of meself as usual!! so I have sent another email apologising about the first one and have said I will pay the amount and get the replacement item...I sent the item back to them the day after I tested it so its well within their 7 day return policy....but that aside I am the one who didnt check and I feel stupid for not checking properly thinking that wouldnt be a problem but clearly it was...anyway thanks all...end of case I say!

6. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

You should always, as best as you can, check yourself on the web before buying. However, in your case, it all depends on what you originally said at the time of purchase.

If you simply asked for some memory, and the memory was not compatible with your motherboard, then the company is within their rights to charge you a restocking fee & not refund the postage. (If it's in their Terms & Conditions of course)

However, if you asked for some memory that would be compatible with Motherboard X then I believe the company would need to give you a full refund if there was a problem with it. You would return the "faulty" under the viso that the memory sold was not suitable for the task for it was purchased.

There is, however, a certain (wont name) computer company in Manchester that advertises everywhere that they do not guarrantee that components are compatible, thus attempting to exhonorate themselves from the "specific" asking of questions .. I used to work for them .. suffice to say I no longer do due to these and similar practises.

Depends also on the company ... some are quite customer orientated and want return business, others are overgrown flea markets only in it for the money.

Certifications: CCNA, SND, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CISSP
  7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This is one reason I use Newegg a lot. They give excellent customer service. I bought some ram not too long ago that turned out to be high density ram and the motherboard required low density ram. Newegg took it back no problem when I explained the problem. There was no restocking charge and they refunded my card and then charged me for the correct ram and shipped it to me the same day I called. They didn't even wait for the old ram to get back to them.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

whats their website mate?

Dont worry I found it mate...

9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

newegg.com

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+