Me and Skillstrain CCNA/CCNP

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Tish, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Tish

Tish New Member

Hello to everyone,

A quick intro about myself: I am working as a system administrator/network engineer in telecommunications/IT since many years and intend now to do my certs with Skillstrain (I haven't signed the contract yet). I have 10 years of Cisco hands-on and had all the courses.

Got a lot of Cisco Press books, self-study CDs and other related CBT learning material but want to be guided through this "jungle" in a structured way as I get sometimes lost in all the information
    (where to start is ok but don't know how deep to dig).

Had a chat with one of their sales advisors yesterday and GBP 3700.-- sounded fairly reasonable to me for A+, N+, CCNA/CCNP.
    I have read a lot of positive and negative posts about Skillstrain here and I am still a bit sceptical (unexperienced) about their quality of training.

Anybody here who did this course and certified to CCNP level ?

All comments are welcome.

Cheers Tish

WIP: CCNA/CCNP
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF!:biggrin

I dont have experience with them but have you considered self-study? its cheap, will work if you work and risk free!:biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, speaking generally. I have read a lot more negative things about training providers than I have read positive things. This in one way is understandable as peeved people tend to want to get on the net and rant. However, if I were you, I would not rush or be pressured into making a decision. As has been said, consider self study as you will be self studying most things anyway - trust me!

Training is expensive, do lots of research and make sure that you really are going to get your monies worth!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. tomhayward

tomhayward New Member

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi Tish,

I'm doing that course, and though I haven't acheived to CCNP level yet, I would say the structure is meant to teach from beginner up - if you have 10 years of experience in the industry, I think you would feel restricted by the pace and relatively simple starting contents of the course.

The main benefits mooted by this training provider are their hands on training, and the fact the exams are paid for. You will only receive one of these benefits, technically, given your experience.

In your position, I would self study first. If you feel more structure is needed, then reconsider the 'safety net' of a provider.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

OU will do you a CCNA in 6 months for around £500.

Looks like hard work though!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. AvtarSDeusi

AvtarSDeusi Bit Poster

Merely an observation, if u have 10+ years experience with Cisco hardware etc.. getting a cert should be a piece of cake, no?

Av

Certifications: None that mean much :p
    WIP: A+, N+, CCNA in that order
  9. Tish

Tish New Member

Arroryn, I basically agree to what you are saying. But I also feel the need that the basics of networking need to be brought to the front of my head (I don't read them on a monthly basis :biggrin ). I'd rather invest a month or two to brush this up, cos I know later I will learn and study at a faster pace as I approach the "latest stuff".

I also know that I love to get lost in the details hence my wish to have a "guided tour". This would
    "limit" me to the things I need to focus on. And I must admit self-study is not really my thing - at least not for what I want to achieve asap.

Hands-on is one of my least worries (I have Cisco equipment at home) - I just need structure or as you said safety-net.

10. Tish

Tish New Member

JonnyMX,

a friend of mine does a course with OU "Digital Communication" at present. I have had a chance to glimpse through the material. Their approach is far too academic for me !

Besides the cost - if one wants to drive a car one doesn't necessarily need to know how cars are manufactured and how petrol is being made. The only thinge one needs is a drivers license. :blink

11. Tish

Tish New Member

Guys,

thanks for the hint. I will have a look at it....

12. Tish

Tish New Member

Theoretically you are right in what you are saying but there's so much stuff in my head which needs to get sorted. In this respect I feel this would be the right approach.