me again

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by vlb, Aug 29, 2007.

1. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

hey guys,

i wonder if anyone can answer these 2 questions for me.

1) does each child domain in a domain tree require its own dns server. ( i created a child domain in my lab and when i was trying to verify trusts etc i was getting errors about not being able to contact the dc for my child domain, i created a dns server in my child domain and put a forwarder in the root domain and it seemed to fix it) i know that it seems i have answered my own question but i want to know that i havent just "lucked it" my knowledge of DNS is minimal to say the least.

2) in recent studies i have found conflicting statements about raising the functional level of forests and domains. if i have a root domain and 2 child domains then for me to be able to raise the forrest to windows 2003 i need each and every dc to be running 2003, and i need each domain to be in at least 2000native? is that right?

i know that to raise the func lvl of a domain to 2003 i need each dc to have 2003 installed ( i know this because i have done it in my lab, but my lab wont strech to a forrest so i have to go on what i read :( )

thanks once again for the help guys this place really is a great resource. :iluvcf

Martyn

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'm not sure whether or not each child domain needs its own DNS server, but I'm sure that it would be good practice to implement it. Like you however my DNS knowledge is lacking as I havent thought about it, or looked at it in any serious depth for a while!

Again I'm guessing (been a long time since I looked at this stuff!), but I would think that to raise the functional level to 2003 native all of your child domains would have to be running server 2003, and as you have said already at 2000 native mode.

There's bound to be someone else around here who is more up to speed with these things than me, lets see what they have to say! :biggrin

3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

vlb,

I'm curious to understand how you were able to "create a child domain" without a "dc for my child domain."

Honestly, I do not have an answer for your second question.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Seems like you answered your own question :)

In order to raise a forest to 2003, all DC's have to be running Server 2k3. But the minimum native mode each domain has to be in is 2000. See here.

You could have the domain's running in 2k native mode, but why would you? One of the points of upgrading domains to 2k3 native mode is to get the extra functionality, as far as I can see, the only reason why you wouldn't is if you're still running 2k DC's or NT DC's.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

yer i did kinda answer my own question but i thought i might have just lucked it.

i agree with you that if you have all dc's running 2003 then it would be best practice to raise all domains then forest. but in practice tests i have done the scenario is that you are raising the forest only and not child domains. thanks for the link though mate

i did have a dc for my child domain, but when i was trying to verify trusts between child dom and root dom the root dom was teling me it couldnt contact a dc for my child dom.

thanks guys

6. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

You are not getting the point i'm afraid. To raise the forrest level ALL domains have to be in the correct level.
    The child domains are not raised because there are allready in the correct state.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  7. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

:p
    according to technet the minimum domain level needed before a forest can be raised to 2003 is windows 2000 native. so if in that scenario you raised the forest to 2003 mode your child domains are still in 2000 native. doesnt that mean the child domains are still in 2000 native and therefor are in a state whereby they could still be raised to 2003 native?? or once you have raised a forest does it automatically raise all child domains in it to the forest level?

thanks for the answers. :oops: :oops:

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes

No, you have to do that.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

thats what i thought mate, tinus's post kinda threw me.

thanks for clearing that up