MCTS title retirement clarification

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by B33 ENN, Nov 22, 2013.

1. B33 ENN

B33 ENN Nibble Poster

Until recently, I had been studying towards gaining MCTS certifications in Server (70-640) and Windows (70-680) so I'd have interim qualifications to build upon my MTAs before attempting the new MCSA in future.

Concerned about Microsoft's retirement schedule, I was monitoring this page to ensure that the exams would still be available when I was ready to take them. However, even though the exams are not yet marked for retirement with an asterisk (still being part of the MCSA track), there was some ambiguity in this note:

From the wording, it isn't exactly clear if they specifically mean the MCTS title itself would no longer be awarded after that date, or if the exams themselves are the subject to retirement. I had been searching around for a definitive answer to this topic without success, so I contacted Microsoft for a clarification. I received this reply:

I decided to post this in case there is anyone else that may be studying toward these exams specifically to gain an MCTS. For all others, it would only be worthwhile if the MCSA in Server 2008 is the preferred target. For myself, I think it makes sense to focus on the Windows 7 exams before they decide to axe them as well, and then look at the MCSA Server 2012 route in future.

Certifications: ECDL, ECDL Expert | Cisco ITE | CompTIA Strata, A+ | Microsoft MTA Operating System, MTA Server Administration | CCNA Exploration
    WIP: CompTIA Network+ | Microsoft MCSA Windows 7, Server 2012 | Cisco CCENT, CCNA
  2. B33 ENN

B33 ENN Nibble Poster

An update. The deadline passed at the end of January, and recently I noticed while browsing that the MCTS for 70-640 was not listed in the retired certification list. Although the exam is still available, the qualification was meant to be withdrawn as noted in the above post.

Puzzled, I queried Microsoft support to confirm, and they seem to have gone back on their intended withdrawal of the certification - without notice or warning as far as I can tell:

I'm very disappointed in their attitude in deciding these things as it seems totally arbitrary, and has wasted several months of my time when I could have been working towards this certification instead of abandoning it.

Certifications: ECDL, ECDL Expert | Cisco ITE | CompTIA Strata, A+ | Microsoft MTA Operating System, MTA Server Administration | CCNA Exploration
    WIP: CompTIA Network+ | Microsoft MCSA Windows 7, Server 2012 | Cisco CCENT, CCNA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes, certification isn't quite the garden of roses some people make it out to be...

I just study what makes the most sense now and don't take certifications unless there is a clear benefit.