MCTS SQL Passed!

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by Gopher, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Gopher

Gopher Bit Poster

Hi All

Just thought I would let you all know I passed my MCTS (70-431) about 2 hours ago and with 1000/1000.

I have to say that this was a really good exam and I actually enjoyed the different style to this one.

My main advice to anyone wanting to take this is 'get hands on experience', reading alone won't get you through.

Finally, thanks to you all who have replied to my posts and given advice over the last few weeks - cheers guys!!

Gopher:D

Certifications: MCP, MCSA & MCTS SQL 2005
    WIP: MCITP 70-443 & 70-444
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

congrats on the pass!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the pass! 8)

And welcome words of wisdom on the experience.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Wow, great score, what did you use to study? :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Gopher

Gopher Bit Poster

Thanks all.

What I did and use was the following:

Books

MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-431): Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2005-Implementation and Maintenance: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Implementation and Maintenance - I thought it was a good book and goes through everything.

MCTS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Implementation and Maintenance Study Guide: Exam 70-431 - Possibly a better book as, personally,it seemed easier to follow.

Websites
    SQL 2005 Books online - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms130214.aspx

Most importantly 'Experience' - I am possibly in a better position than most for this, as part of my job, is to manage and maintain 35 SQL server databases (2000 & 2005). So I had implemented some of the new features in a productive environment for company benefit and my own learning experience.

Finally - 'Luck' - I am not ashamed to admit this either, as I think with any subject you never know everything and there are always a few things you are a bit shaky on which luckily did to appear today!

Hope this helps someone and if you have any further questions please ask!

Thanks

Gopher

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's awesome, dude, particularly considering that the two sections (multiple choice and simulation) are scored separately, and then the lowest score of the two is used as the final score.

I remember that, for my MCDBA 2000 certification, the SQL 2000 Books Online was probably the best resource I used.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Gopher

Gopher Bit Poster

Yeah, it helps more than people think. As I use it every day it made sense to use it for this!

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. mibarbu

mibarbu New Member

Congrats for your pass with max score!

I'm getting ready for the same exam, booked on the 10th July. Can't say I have your experience; I'm learning with the MS book, online courses and online practice tests.

Could you tell me about the simulations? were they difficult? how many did you have in your exam?

Thanks,
    Mibarbu

Certifications: MCTS
    WIP: MCITP
  11. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass... :thumbleft

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. Gopher

Gopher Bit Poster

Obviously I can't tell you too much about the simulations due the NDA you have to agree with before you take the exam, however I can give you some advice - mainly practice!

Depending on what your job role and what you have access to, I would suggest you get to know the SSMS. You need to find out where things are and what they do, this will take a while but it is worth it - not just for the exam, but for future SQL roles you might have.

If you have worked with SQL 2000, find out what the differences are and what benefits and technology improvements SQL 2005 has to offer

Unfortunately I can't give you much more, but if you know the SSMS well then you should be fine.

Hope this helps

Gopher

14. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

8) good stuff