MCTS or MCSE

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by shocksl, Jul 28, 2011.

1. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

I'm trying to get a job in 1st line support and hopefully progress to 2nd line.

Which is the better choise from the certs: MCTS or MCSE for Windows 7?

thanks

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The MCTS is an exam based on a certain technology, eg the MCTS in Windows 7, Configuring is an exam based on Windows 7.

The MCSE is a collection of exams centered around the Windows 2003 operating system, this is aimed at IT Professional's with one to two years of experience in designing, installing, configuring, and troubleshooting network systems.

The MCTS for Windows 7 (70-680) can be used as the client OS for the MCSE. However there is no MCSE for Windows 7.

So to be honest, I would start off with the 70-680, the MCTS in Windows 7 Configuration :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

Thanks for that mate.

I would deffinately do the MCTS now :)

How difficult is this exam mate, or to learn it via self study? I have not done anything like this before, but I know my way around a pc. I am faily quick at learning new stuff aswel.

Also How much does it cost to book the exam itself?

Lastly what are the best learning materials for it?

Thanks for the great info that is precisely the info I was looking for.

Thankssss

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

How difficult is the exam is a fuzzy question... What is easy for one, may not be easy for another.

I've found the MCTS for Windows 7 harder than the exams for 2000, XP & Vista. But others have found it easy.

It is possible to learn it by self-study, via a class or both - it depends on your learning style.

The exam itself is now £99 plus VAT, you may be able to find deals that will get you the exam voucher cheaper, but you'll have to hunt around.

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

Thank you veryyyy much for the great input once again. You certainly answered my question yet again.

Would you be able to direct me to the best study/revision material for this exam?

6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I can't really recommend the best study resource, not having used them all.
    I used the MSPress book and the Boson exams. The Boson exams were excellent, MSPress book mediocre. The Boson exams were much closer to the real thing than the practice questions in the MSPress book.
    I also used the Sybex book. I wouldn't recommend it. I don't think I bothered reading the whole thing.
    Free online 70-680 video course
    I never used this myself for the 680, I don't think he had much on the website at that point, but I used his A+ and network+. An excellent free resource if it's the same quality.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Seems the others already kind of answered your question. So yes, MCTS to begin with, and then move upwards to MCITP.
    MCDST would probably been the best one to go for, but it is now discontinued.

Books can be hit and miss. sometimes MSPress is good, sometimes Sybex, etc... Go down to a book store and leaf around, read a few pages, see which one is easiest for you to pick up text wise. It can really pay off. It's not always the fattest/largest book that has the best study material.

MSPress usually has very thorough info, but can be drier to read versus other publishers. amazon or other online stores sometimes even have a few pages published online for an initial read to get an idea of how the book is structured or written, worth a gander.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  8. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster