MCTS - how much will it cost?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by nickj, Apr 21, 2008.

1. nickj

nickj New Member

Just wondered how much it costs to get the MCTS certification. Is it possible to get the learning material for free and just pay for the exams?

I've had a look around and i'm getting so much different information was hoping someone could give me a brief overview of the cheapest possible way to get the MCTS certification.

Thanks guys! 8)

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

just buy the books when you feel confident pay for the exams.

You can get free stuff but normal free means it isn't very good your better off paying for good quality material.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. nickj

nickj New Member

thanks for the quick reply.

How much do the books and exams cost? Do you have a link to where i can get the books, or are you refering to the official microsoft course books?

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Get the MS Press books from Amazon or some other site they will be cheaper I am not sure on the price of the exam but you could look on the prometric website as thats the site you will need to book the exam.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Herne

Herne Bit Poster

Depending on the flavour of MCTS you're aiming at you can pick up a box of books for MCPD (which covers MCTS) from amazon.co.uk for ~ £70 (For the web one I'm doing anyways).
    The exams are £88 but you get a 15% off voucher in the book per exam.
    If you get the practice tests from MeasureUp they're £55.

So in total:

Books: £70
    Exams: £88 x 3
    Practice Tests: £55 x 3
    Total: £499 for MCPD - and seeing as it's only one more exam after MCTS, why not? :)

Probably about £356 just for MCTS (theres no saving on the books as they're about £35 individually).

Hope that helps,
    Nath

Certifications: MCTS
    WIP: MCPD
  6. Herne

Herne Bit Poster

I can confirm that this approach works as I've just passed 70-536 using it :D

Certifications: MCTS
    WIP: MCPD