1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCTS - exam retiral / replacement

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by mrdo, Feb 7, 2013.

1. mrdo

mrdo New Member

hi there,

i'm basically looking to get certification in web programming but can never seem to find which is the most current qualification and exam set.

i have started studying for the MCTS .Net framework 3.5 ASP.NET (exams 70-536 and 70-562) but have just noticed that these exams are due for retiral on July 31st, 2013.

i can't seem to find any direct replacement for these exams - there is a single .Net framework 4.0 Web Applications exam (70-515) but i can't seem to find an overview that clarifies the situation.

have both of these exams been replaced by a single exam ? do i just need to pass the new single exam (70-515) to get an MCTS ?

i'm basically looking to find the most recent certification in a .Net Web Technology - what relationship does the MCTS certification have to the MCSD certification ?

any assistance gratefully received !

2. dmarsh

dmarsh Terabyte Poster

Its all on the MS Training website.

MCTS is a mid range certification for technical professionals.
    MCPD is a high end certification for programmers that requires you already hold 2+ MCTS.

They have just re-branded again and renamed the MCPD back to the MCSD.

There is an MCSD web applications now.
    MCSD: Web Apps Certification | Microsoft Learning

or

You can still attempt the MCPD on .NET 4
    Microsoft Certified Professional Developer (MCPD)

70-515 is the .NET 4 MCTS exam for ASP.NET
    TS: Web Applications Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4

70-536 was initially designed to be a core framework exam on .NET framework v2, its not web specific. MS have dropped this approach. I suspect because arguably it was their hardest developer exam.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
    Certifications: CITP, BSc, HND, SCJP, SCJD, SCWCD, SCBCD, SCEA, N+, Sec+, Proj+, Server+, Linux+, MCTS, MCPD, MCSA, MCITP, CCDH
  3. mrdo

mrdo New Member

thanks for the quick reply. :-)

ok, so it looks like a starting point would be to switch to the MCTS .NET 4 for ASP.NET (a single exam 70-515) and then work towards the MCPD (a total of 4 exams including 70-515) ?