mcts 70-680 - which revision guide?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by shocksl, Dec 2, 2011.

1. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

okay fellas I am hearing that Micrsoft Press book is a bad choice to use as a revision guide for the exam mcts 70-680 due to the number of errors..

What have you all used for your revision and what would you recommend me?

thanks

2. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

anybody?@

3. livingwater

livingwater Bit Poster

I have asked an almost identical question and got some really helpful replies. The thread can be found [thread=46133]here[/thread]

Certifications: A+, N+
  4. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

I am studying for it as well, official ms book is not great but other books have even worse reviews. I found myself spending more time with Professor Messer videos and technet than the book. Do not worry about the errors, they are mainly typos, errata covers most of the more serious ones. IMO the book is just badly written, errors do not matter.

Good luck!

5. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thank you living and NYX!

nyx how are you finding the revision? and have you tried using CBT Nuggets, their pretty good :)

6. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

I find it very hard. Things I knew already I can't really focus on, stuff new to me disappears from my brain so quickly it makes me feel like a caveman. All the deployment options and tools - watched the free vids, read the book - and still have no clue... My advice is to do as much practicing on it as possible, I intend to spend most of the coming week on it. It works best for me anyway.
    Can't afford CBT's, well I could buy them but have the exam in just over two weeks so probably wouldn't get through them anyway.

7. will.owen.jones

will.owen.jones New Member

I passed 70-680 today, and I agree with everyone elses comments about the official book. I found that it covered a lot of areas I knew already from previous exams e.g. XP and Networking for 2003. Without this prioir understanding the book would have been little help at all. It covers some areas so badly you need the knowledge prior to the book. For instance IPv4/IPv6 in the book is very poor. The other areas it covers are ok, but you should bulk it out.

If you are struggling with the delpoyment stuff, the reason I got this all was because I work with WDS/MDT etc. daily so its second nature, so if you can start getting hands on with it.

I used CBT nuggets, I highly recommend the vids, the tutor, James Conrad, is very good, and very funny. I also used some other exam sims close to the big day to check my knowledge. If you can, get some virtual machines running so you can play around with the features. Orcale do the free and very good Virtual Box for this.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: MCP MCSA MCTS
    WIP: MCITP:EMA 2010
  8. NT Executive

NT Executive Bit Poster

Will I am planning to not bother will the press book yet im sticking to some videos i have including the CBT nuggets ones and im doing alot of stuff in Wmware, do you think this is okay?

Also, do you have to know in depth about WDS to pass the exam?

9. will.owen.jones

will.owen.jones New Member

Hi NT Executive,

I would suggest you get the book or a similar one to work along side the videos. The videos are really good but sometimes they don't get into enough detail. They, in my opinion work well together. CBT nuggets give you a great overview and understanding and then the book gets into the nitty gritty, except on IP stuff.

With WDS just make sure you understand what it does. It deploys install images e.g. ( personalised wim files) to a computer that is PXE compliant. Or you can use a discover image, which will look for the WDS server if the computer isnt PXE compliant.

I hope that all helps. It can take a while to get your head round it all, especially if you dont work with it everyday. If you have anymore questions let me know.

Basically dont put all your eggs in one basket and study from one source.

Certifications: MCP MCSA MCTS
    WIP: MCITP:EMA 2010
  10. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thanks for the above information ^^^^:)

What would be your recommendations for me in terms fo study. I work so would do it all in the evenings.

Here are the materials that are in my disposal:

CBT Nuggets
    Train signal
    MS Press Book
    VMware player, with win 7 on it.

I am really struggling to make a plan and sticking to it. And what sort of notes that are required.

I hope you can help.