MCTS 70-536 How long should it take?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by dotNET, Nov 12, 2007.

1. dotNET

dotNET Bit Poster

Hi

I know it probably varies person by person. But, how long do you think it will take to prepare for this exam for a new commer to .NET? I've studied Java at University.

Some people have suggested 3 months, studying 7 hours per day.
    Do you think I'll need as much time? It's just that with working full time, I wouldn't have such vast periods of study time available.

Also, some people choose to study C# books first? Is this really necessary. Could I not just use the 70-536 Study book from Microsoft along with MSND and practice tests?

Thanks!

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

How long should it take? As long as it takes to fully understand the concepts. Everyone is different... different speeds of learning, different previous experiences to base your studies on, different obligations to other responsibilities, etc. So don't worry about "how long will it take" and focus on "what do I need to learn".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

How long is a piece of string?

Entirely down to the individual how long it will take.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It took me about 3 or 4 months to prepare for my first .NET exam.

But then, I had done a year of programming with the OU.

With .NET, you need to learn the language, the 'Microsoft Way' and the principles of programming.
    If you've never done any before, your head will start to spin with concepts such as 'encapsulation', 'polymorphism' and 'asynchronous callbacks'.

Remember, .NET was created to make people who can talk about it sound way cleverer than they are. The developers worked hard to cram in the longest words in the English language.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well It took me about 3 weeks full time when I was between contracts, thats no evenings or weekends off, 10-12 hrs a day. I have also been programming professionally for 11+ years and have done a lot of windows development and OO.

In general I'd reccomend programming for a year or two before attempting the MCPD certification and even then its likey to take several months part time for each exam in general.

The words and concepts were not invented for .Net they are either core OO prinicples (that go back to the 1960's!) or just core programming principles full stop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming

Best of Luck !

6. dotNET

dotNET Bit Poster

Ok. I think I maybe need to adjust my expectations about how much time it's going to take.

On the matter of how to study for it;

Do you think I'd be OK just using the 70-536 study book and MSDN as well as a little bit of C# study?

Do I really need to study a whole book on C#? I was counting on using my existing Java knowledge and just looking at the differences between it and C#.

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, you never know what they are going to ask you, so you really need to be familiar with C#.

Then you need to be familiar with the IDE, so you'll need practice with VS2005.

Depends really on if you are focusing on passing the exam, or becoming a useful developer.
    The MS press stuff (and others) are usually quite good at mapping to the curriculum, so you could bone up on them, do some practice exams and sqeeze through.

Or you could broaden your studies and experience and aim to become a talented developer.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. glosrob

glosrob New Member

I too am studying 70-536 at the moment.

My work sees me using C# each day so that is helping alot - but I agree with the others.

My method is to make notes on each lesson and then a chapter summary. Nothing too detailed but research has shown that you take more information in the more ways you 'learn' it - e.g. say it out loud, read it to yourself, write it down etc.

Once I am through making notes for each chapter I will go back through and complete the practical exercises as I need them. If I look at a practical exercise and think "OK I have no clue what they are on about here!" then I know to go back over the chapter. If I think "Ahh yeah I remember this!" then I know I have obviously taken enough in.

Or something like that! :biggrin

Just my approach though - everyone is different.