MCTIP: SA/EA or MCT Virtual Lab setup.

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Dashik, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Dashik

Dashik Bit Poster

OK so just out of curiosity, for those that have done or are in the process of doing MCTIP: SA/EA or MCTS exams, with what and how did you setup your virtual lab?

Did you just have one or 2 VM servers running all the roles between them or did you have multiple virtual servers and and clients? Do you have a single pc and virtual machines or do you have several boxes and a server or two?

I'm setting mine up as I go along. Adding roles to the Virtual server(s) as I go.

Ive decided to use Win 2K8R2 with Hyper-V as the base OS then virtualise the lot and remote destop into them.

I'm starting with exam 70-680 so I need one or two win 7 Clients, A Win 2K8R2 server with AD DS WDS role's etc etc.

Eventually its looking like quite a few VM servers and clients all running together for MCTIP:EA :D

Sad as it may be I find that really interesting stuff :) Being able to run (even without a true load) a complete enterprise system on one box :D

So please share your setup and roles you assigned to your servers and the why :D

A brief outline of the hardware you ran it on would be useful.

I'm running an HP ML110 G6 with 9Gb ram (soon to be 16Gb) with 2 x 1Tb, 1 x 500Gb, 1 x 250Gb hdd accessed from my monster Games pc via Virginmedia's Gigabit superhub. 2 dell 24" monitors makes it a lot easier as well.

I might even upgrade the CPU to an i3-540 or XEON 4 Core if I need to as they also have Hyperthreading which mine does not.

cheers

James

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
    WIP: CCNA/CCNP MCITP: SA & EA
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I have 1 ML110 G5 server dual core with 8GB of RAM hosting around 5-7 VM's depending on what I want to do... I am in the process of upgrading the 2003 environment I have to 2008 and planning on keeping it all the same.

I setup my VMs like this...

2 x VM's hosting DC's, DNS, DHCP
    1 x VM hosting Exchange 2010
    1 x VM hosting File Server, TS
    1 x VM SCCM, SQL, WDS
    2 x VM's Clients Win7/XP

The idea for a server is to have lots of RAM and even 8GB of RAM in my above setup has troubles running so I tend to shutdown some VM's to help with the speed when needed...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Buy a SSD and offload the vswap and paging files to it :)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Might as well... I hear they're solid drives!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)