MCSE training

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by scott101, Nov 19, 2007.

1. scott101

scott101 New Member

Hi there guy's was wondering if you could help me. I am trying to find a MCSE instructor led training provider in Hampshire, but am struggling to find one. I would ideally like one in which dose weekend courses as I work full time. So if you no of any could you please let me know.

I have been doing my A+ at weekends up in London but it’s just too much travelling and would like somewhere a bit closer to home as I live in Portsmouth.

2. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Hi Scott,

How comfortable are you with self study? With the online resources available today, forums, Google, Wikipedia, MS Knowledge Base, and so much more, you can choose your own schedule and location for study. It's being done more and more with excellent results.

3. scott101

scott101 New Member

Well the main reason I want to do an instructor led courses is so that I can get a bit of hands on experience as im not currently working in the IT industry.

4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Scott, you can get useful hands on experience by installing VMWare Server on your computer and install multiple other operating system to get hands on practice. Doing this would also mean your house is not be taken over by several computer base units and you save £££ too:)

I'd advise you start with the A+ study route and self study allowing you to study at your own pace plus you have this forum if you stuck with something. There are other good simulators but expensive such as CBT Nuggets, Trainsignal and Testout. Best wishes on whichever route you decide:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Scott

I agree with Onoski do the A+ first, you shouldnt have an MCSE without proper experience, you may find it harder to get a job with an MCSE and no experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can get hands-on experience by getting you a computer or two and creating your own lab in the comfort of your own home... and it's certainly cheaper than paying for a training course!

That said, you should have a year of experience administering a multi-site network (not a year in IT, but a year doing advanced administration) before pursuing the MCSE. Microsoft recommends that, and I agree with their assessment.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

As has been mentioned self study is definitely an option, also many colleges prefer non professional quals for some reason.

Heres a few links :-

http://www.highbury.ac.uk/UploadDocs/contents/Documents/pdf/part-timeprospectus/ComputingIT.pdf
    http://www.fareham.ac.uk/pt2007/Web_Sheet_4.pdf
    http://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/all/professional_list.aspx
    http://www.southdowns.ac.uk/part_ti...p?codeID=Computing and Information Technology
    http://www.havant.ac.uk/pdfs/HavantADEdSep2007.pdf

Plus theres all the professional independant courses, just be clear what you are getting yourself into, I'd also reccomend paying in installments for each term and not signing any big one off contracts.

8. scott101

scott101 New Member

Thanks for all the reply's. I just thought that it would be very difficult to get employed of the back of my A+, that’s why I thought of doing my MCSE. I am looking to move to London next year sometime. Would you recommend in doing the network+ course just that I thought that the MCSE covers most of that?

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If you manage to earn all of the certifications that add up to the MCSE gaining actual production experience in a work environment (and that would be just about a miracle), potential employers would likely see your MCSE as more or less worthless. This set of certifications isn't about solving a series of mental puzzles or being a good test taker. It's about establishing your having the various skill sets necessary to manage an enterprise-level Windows environment.

A more proper plan would be to earn several "pre-Microsoft" certs such as the A+, Network+, MCDST and so on whilst you are working at entry-level jobs and gaining experience. As you move up the ladder and work in positions giving more responsibility, you can study for and earn the more advanced certifications. Experience, learning, and certifications have to all go hand-in-hand.

Yes, the various MIcrosoft exams leading to the MCSE do have significant networking components but if you haven't mastered basic networking skills as you learn when studying for the N+, you'll be totally baffled by the more advanced concepts and practices needed to understand managing Windows networks and domains. You need to start by laying the educational foundation for your career before moving on to more advanced subjects.

Gone are the days when simply having the initials M-C-S-E meant you'd automatically be hired. You have to establish that you've got the skills behind the title. Good luck on your quest. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

UK IT Training are based 20mins inside the M25 on the A3
    From portsmouth it shouldnt be too far, they dont do weekend courses as far as i know but they do a few evenings as far as i know

I'm with them now, in fact i'm sitting in their classroom writing this, lol, if you want to see how i'm doing with them, check my previous threads to find teh reviews i have written on them

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  11. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Scott,

In my opinion, the A+ is one of the most basic building blocks of anything IT. Knowing and understand how the various componants and operating systems work and interact with one another will prove to be a necessity again and again. I would suggest to start there. That in itself will open a lot of doors. And while you're working on your A+, you can learn a little more about the different certification paths. That will allow you to decide which may be best for you.

12. scott101

scott101 New Member

Well I just finished my A+ course at London College of computing last Saturday. Planning to take my exam after xmas I have been doing allot of A+ studying thought the year so I am pretty shore I will pass the two exams (fingers crossed). But looking at the network + syllabus it just seems mostly theory which I no is good but would like something that is a little hands on as that’s the way that I learn best. Thanks for all your comments its nice to get some proper feed back as when your speaking to training companies they are obviously just trying to sell you the course and not giving you an honest opinion.

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You'll have an even MORE difficult time trying to get MCSE-level jobs with zero experience, as Trip mentioned. Even worse, entry-level employers will look at your certification and say, "What's an MCSE doing applying for an entry-level job?" Thus, getting the MCSE before you've built up experience can actually be detrimental to your job search.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. shumon_70

shumon_70 New Member

hi, i have done my mcp in 2001. i live in north end in portsmouth.i am willing to finish my mcse, if u r willing to do group study with me u can contact me my email: [email protected]

Certifications: mcp
    WIP: scsa and ccna
  15. mikehuff

mikehuff New Member

Did anybody here tried MCSE training courses from http://www.netwind.com? Are they worth it? I have done some network admin work in the past as an assistant to a network admin.

16. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have never heard of them

Read the replies above about experience and MCSE.

How much experience do you have, if its not much then forget about MCSE, you should have a years experience in administering desktop and networked operating systems before doing the MCSE.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?