MCSE Question!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Makaveli, May 31, 2005.

1. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Hi

A got a question about gaining an MCSE - ive done a bit of research and if im correct you need to take 7 exams and pass to become an MCSE. Ive recently completed my Uni degree :alc and now looking to gain an MCSE. I want to give myself a year to go through all the material I need to know/will be tested on.

My question is where do i start, is there a certain exam you have to start on? Other question is - is there 1 book available that covers all the exams, basically everything in one? and what is the cost?

Thanks!

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

It's not quite as straight forward as one book covers all, unfortunately. Check the following links:

Windows 2000 track: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/requirements.asp

XP/Windows2003 track:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/

Should give you a bit more info to help you decide. Also, why not take a mo to swing by our New Members board and say a quick "hello". Always nice to meet the new Guys :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Jamin.

Jamin. Nibble Poster

Certifications: MCSA: Security! GCSE Nautical studies
    WIP: On a break.
  4. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Hi

Thanks for a quick reply, I did have a look on the Microsoft website and it all looked abit complicated :blink So there isnt one book that covers everything? Is there individual books for each exam? What do you guys recommend and any idea of a rough cost?

Thanks!

5. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Hi Jamin

Thanks for the link, im looking to do w2k. Assuming there would be something similar available for w2k, but does that training kit have all u need? or will u need to buy more books/study material to complete your MCSE?

Thanks 4 ur reply!

6. Jamin.

Jamin. Nibble Poster

as a *very* rough cost -
    2 books per exam (1 microsoft / 1 study guide with CD-ROM)
    Each book is about £30, so 16*30 = £480 plus a new book shelf!
    Each exam is also about £105 * 8 = £840 Plus I also needed a few other books for specfic subjects etc = £200, total = £1520
    But depending on your work etc, you may need less / more books / trancenders (test exams)
    and then theres the hardware........

7. Jamin.

Jamin. Nibble Poster

Sorry, just seen your reply, unless you have a good work reason for doing the 2k version (I.E. they are paying for it!) do the 2003 track, you will only have to pay even more to upgrade the 2K MCSE at some point!

8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Just to add my 2p's worth. M$ will be reducing their support for W2K from Jue or July this year (I do stand to be corrected on this). If you go down the 2K route you will only have to pay for an upgrade exam, which consists of 2 exams, to get your certs upto current.

May as well save your £££'s and go straight to XP/Server 2003.

Just my humble opinion. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

So, there is no missing link? i.e If you can get 2003 certified you have covered everything that 2000 has only on 2003?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good point AJ.

Bear in mind that a lot of places are still actually using NT, and as AJ says, even those currently on w2k will be looking to the next big upgrade (if not 2003, then hanging out for Longhorn/ Blackcomb).

As such, I reckon anyone pushing the w2k option on you is more likely motivated by budget, ie get as many folks as poss to sign up for the old materials while we still have them.

Woops - cynical hat sneaked out again there :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. AJ

If your MCSE your MCSE. The qualification tells you and others that you have reached a degree of knowledge that satisfies Microsoft that you are proficient with their operating systems.

Why not pick the current version and keep up to date.

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree with the others, at this point in time it makes sense to start the 2003 track. Also, I would say that to do it in a year would be tough, some of these Microsoft exams are evil and require much preparation before sitting them. It took me three years to attain my MCSE and at times I felt I had bitten off more than I cared to chew.

Do not pay up front for the whole thing like I did. Take it one step at a time, go for the XP MCP and then on to MCSA and if you really want to you can then go for the three more exams to get MCSE.

Once you have the MCSE, you will be knocked by all and sundry that the cert is not worth anything any more :rolleyes:

The MCSE cert has been devalued by the idiot braindumpers, if it wasn't for the cheaters, the cert would be considered valuable these days but in reality it is perceived as a worthless piece of paper by many.

Personally I am VERY PROUD to hold my MCSE and I know how hard it is to get without resorting to dumping but I recognise that it is no longer a ticket to a good job or a high salary.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. AJ

Very wise words there Pete and I agree 100% with them.

Lets not also forget that it's not just the Braindumper that have devalued the MCSE cert it is also employers who ask for it for every job, even those positions that it really isn't needed (no offence to anyone there :oops:).

Same as Pete, it took me 3 years to get my MSCE and I was on the verge, a couple of times, of giving up. It is hard work and no matter what ANYBODY say you are NOT guarenteed to walk into a £30K job when you pass.

Rant over, go for the latest route to MCSE. I believe there is a lot of NT to W2003 Server stuff in there just to follow on from what Gav said.

14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

with motivation and dedicated time, yes it can be done in a year, if you maintain a day job, thinka gain! lol, i practically find no time for studying these days, but do try and squeeze a bit in here and there

As others have pointed out, dont bother with 2k, unless you have some perculiar desire to do it over the current level

Cost is still high, and there is no single book, simply because the variety in courses you can run, although there is often a Core 4 pack which covers the exams that are required, these hit in the 100 - 150 range

Electives are down to you and what your interested in

Exams can be had for 84 quid at Prometric centers, so a pretty hefty saving over the course of 7 (+ any retakes) there

I advise Sybex and Exam Cram books, as those are the ones I have used (Exam Cram since my NT 4 days)

As someone who has met the requirements for the MCSE twice (both NT4 and 2000, although microsoft dont really differentiate) I wish you luck on your endeavour, it is an uphill struggle for the best of us, and a long road to follow, but we will be here to help along every step of the way, so do not hesitate to call on us :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0