Mcse PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Ichopdat, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Ichopdat

Ichopdat New Member

Hi im new to MCSE i have the full course but i dont know were to start from can anybody help

Imran

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Moved: General Microsoft Discussion

Welcome to CertForums Ichopdat, are you with a training provider or are you studying with your own materials. If you with a training provider then your question may be better directed at them.

Start with 70-210 or 70-270 if your going the XP route but as your training provider may have sent you additional resourses you may have to complete them prior to the above. I know my provider sent me 4 books and Comptia A+ before I could started on an MCP.

HTH

SimonV

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I agree with SimonV, go down the 70-210 for win 2000 or 70-270 for XP, if you are not that familier with networking you could always try Network+ if it is part of your study material, I have not done it yet but from what i have heard it is a good place to start in order to understand how networks work and what hardware is required to make them possible

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  4. Ichopdat

Ichopdat New Member

Hi
    thanks for the reply, i was just wondering how the course is set out is there any learning material or reading material i have just got cd's with all modules on mostly all questions, :(

thanks
    Imran

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Imran,

Can you give us a bit more info about how you're going about the course ?

Did you sign up with a company that provides you with materials, or did you just buy the CDs yourself ? To be honest, any of the Members here will probably agree that CDs alone are not the ideal study method - you generally need some good, proven text books to work with (eg Microsoft Pree, Sybex, and others)

Disks are an excellent additional resource to good books, but I wouldn't recommend them as the only one you use. Incidentally, what CDs is it you have ?

If you need any more info, please feel free to ask as many questions as you want - we're here to help each other

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Ichopdat

Ichopdat New Member

Hi
    Thanks for the reply,
    basically im doing it from scratch, i have some knowledge of computer systems, i bought this cd from ebay it has all the units i.e 70-210, 70-215, 70-216, 70-217, please advise me what other books or cds i would need to do the course

Thankyou

7. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi Imran,

If you're going to study at home instead of through a training provider I'd reccomend you first of all make sure you have a lab to experiment on, this could be a single PC with VMware on or 2 or 3 PC's networked. Next you need to decide which track you are going to study mcse 2000 or mcse 2003, the CD's you have are for the 2000 track. Start with the workstation exam which is 70-210 on 2000 and 70-270 on 2003, next go on Amazon and do a search for 70-210 or 70-270. You will get quite a few results back, I'd recommend the Microsoft Study Guides but that is just a personal preference and a lot of other people will recommend Sybex. To start with just pick one and see if the style suits you. Once you've done 210 or 270 just repeat the same process for the other exams but you'll be an old hand by then :)

Oh and one other very important ingredient, keep coming to certforums for all the advice, encouragement and abuse you can handle :D

HTH

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Imran,

You won't go far wrong with that good advice from Phil.

Another thought I had was - keep your eye on the Sales Frum we have here - it's maybe not one of our busiest Forums, but Members DO occasionally post used texts for sale. Check out a good 2nd hand bookstore too - that'll help keep the costs down, especially if you don't take to a particular style of book.

HTH

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Bruins

Bruins Bit Poster

The way I did it (worked for me) was 70-210 & then 70-215 they both seem to play off of each other.