MCSE or not ???

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Edz, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Edz

Edz New Member

Hi All
    i'm 33 and currently work in the customer support/helpdesk dept for an international telecoms company based in the city (London). I've been in a rut for several years now and recently I've been considering taking some training in the IT arena. To be honest I feel overwhelmed with information.

A friend of mine suggested the MCSE but is this really the best course for a complete IT novice ?

Are there many jobs out there for MCSE qualified people with zero practical experience ?

What sort of salary could I expect on completion of the course ? and after gaining practical experience?

Thanks very much !!!

Ed

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi again

I replied basically to this on your introduction thread, if you have no IT experience then getting the MCSE will make it harder for you to get a job (have a look at your intro thread to find out why).

You should start compTIA A+ then N+ then MCDST but start looking for a job now, you can do all these by self study no need for a course, unless you want to.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi mate,

No, the A+, Network+ and the MCDST is best suited for entry level to helpdesk.

To be honest, between slim and none. Professional certs/quals/creds should reflect your job role/responsibilities and not for anything else. The problem with alot of entry level people attaining the MCSE will little or no experience is that it devalues the MCSE. This is one of the reasons why MS have now changed the MCP to MCSE structure to the new MCTS to MCITP structure - more role based.

Only as much as a company is willing to pay you. Alot of sites will say £35k, however it does depend on what company, where you work, what industry, position held, experience, etc. So in reality anywhere from £18k to £50k*. *this is basing it on the MCSE and the related experience required for it and not just a MCSE with no experience

Hope this helps.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Edz

Edz New Member

wow great - thank you both for the replies. I shall take a look into the above mentioned courses first ...
    cheers

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

GBL's and Ken's advice is solid... I agree, wholeheartedly. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Edz

Edz New Member

...so - following on from the above replies can anyone recommend any decent self study books for the A+ and N+ qualifications ?
    thanks so much for your help here !

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

for the A+ you need compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC Technician Street Smarts by James Pyles.

The A+ book will teach you all you need to know and the Technician street smarts is like a book with excerises in to practices stuff on your PC.

I got both books and an old PC for 80 quid.

Going on a course would cost you a lot more than that.

If you have any other questions just ask :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Again, solid advice. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Edz

Edz New Member

thanks v much ! yeh sounds pretty good to me. !
    cheers