MCSE or CCNA or RHCE or Solaris, Which is Best?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Arunram, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

Hello all,
    I wanna know which certification has got more scope? is it MCSE or RHCE or CCNA or SOLARIS? Pl tell in detail since i wanna choose my career...

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Which ever one interests you and which ever one you use at work.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Agreed.

They all represent very different things, and would apply to jobs that entail very different tasks. If you tell us what you'd like to be doing, then we can probably advise based on that - though I'd primarily advise not to try and jump in at any of those types of certs. They're too high level for a beginner, and you'd be completely out of your depth.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

More "scope"? You mean, which one offers more possibilities? Considering most of the world uses Microsoft at some point in their organization, but might not use any Red Hat, Cisco, or Solaris, that'll give you an answer.

That said, you shouldn't base your career around one single technology. I'd hire someone with all FOUR skills before I hired someone with only one.

In any case, you might not be ready for ANY of those certifications unless you've been working with those technologies in a real-world business IT environment for a while. Certifications aren't designed to get you into a field or to teach you how to work in that field... certifications are designed to show what you can ALREADY do.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Very true....

Very, very true...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

I truly hope that the current state of the economy is not going to bring a rush of "paper" certifications into our industry again.

I saw this happen to the MCSE for Windows 2000 during the so-called "Tech Boom". I was going to school with all types of people who were getting into IT because they saw the playmates, Ferrari's and 6 figure income you could get after obtaining an MCSE.

It pretty much ruined certification for many years. It looks like more and more people are thinking that they can break into a well paying IT job with a couple of certs again.

Please tell me it is just me and that I am the only one recognizing questions like this popping up more and more.

Certifications seem to be finally getting recognized as valuable again.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  7. hailstorm

hailstorm Bit Poster

I wouldn't say any of those are "the best". Many different certs cover similar topics such as networking. It all depends what you want to specialize in. Go for what you enjoy doing. You'll regret it otherwise.

Certifications: ACTC, ACSP, MCP, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: ACSA
  8. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Don't blame the individuals who have no knowledge of IT who are looking for work for thinking "cert == job". Blame the jackasses masquerading as "training institutions" who advertise heavily that this is how things work, who are out to take advantage of people's desperation in a down economy. MS is up to this crap again too. They have announced an "education" program paid for with taxpayer funds that will supposedly qualify untrained people for getting jobs in IT. Guess what it mostly entails? Certifying people who have no experience in the field of IT. I'll give you one guess as to whose certs they are pushing.

Who can blame the newbies for not understanding how the industry "really" works. All they see are the advertisements and think those ads reflect the true picture of how things work. I mean, MS, MS certified trainers, and US government agencies wouldn't lie to them would they? Once again, don't blame people for not understanding what really happens inside the IT field when they are looking at it from the outside, are desperate, and are daily fed a line crap from multiple sources about just how easy it is to get into IT. Put the blame where it really lies, on the ones who deliberately deceive them to line to their own pockets.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  9. BosonMichael

Actually, I haven't ever really seen a decline in this sort of mindset... it's existed for as long as I've been in IT.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. BosonMichael

Another anti-Microsoft rant! :ohmy Color me surprised.

11. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

I have seen a decline in people who realize that we have to earn our pay and that it is not as lucrative as the MCSE of 2000 promised people.

I agree that people still think that if you work in IT that you must make good money. Granted some of us do, but many are underpaid just like a lot of industries or we have to start at the bottom.

I do get your point though BosonMichael and yeah another MS rant by freeloader.:rolleyes:

12. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Any links about this "education" program? I would like to form my own opinion on this. THX in advance.

Also, I am not blaming the innocent who want to get into IT. I encourage it, but the questions that start off like this thread clearly indicate that someone has done some looking into the Industry as many in the industry probably do not know what Solaris or RHCE certs are.

13. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

When I started in IT it was virtually impossible to buy a computer book in a bookshop, hardly anyone had internet access, certainly not web access, maybe janet access at uni or prestel at home or BBS access.

If you wanted to learn stuff you had to put an order in for books at your local bookshop, wait for them to arrive, read them, subscribe to and read numerous magazines, try stuff out, scratch your head a lot, try some more.

People without an engineering bent did not consider entering IT in general.

Hardly anyone had heard of certifications, they had only been around a couple of years, a few people were Novell Network certified. In general you went to college to learn stuff. I can hardly say more certs have improved matters. They are often mis-marketed and newbies can't really be expected to know better.

The barriers to entry today are massively lower, this just seems to mean the average candidate is worse.

14. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Well said dmarsh.

15. Crito

Crito Banned

When the NASDAQ gets back to 5000 then I'll worry about it. Thanks to all the poorly skilled and unproductive (but very cheap) H1B labor we're using here in the USA now, the tech industry should recover by, er, um, well probably never actually. All the smart people have moved on to other industries and careers.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  16. BosonMichael

Yeah, we're all just a buncha idiots and morons in IT nowadays. :rolleyes:

17. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Well a RHCE probably wont help you when it comes to domain controlers, group policies and active directory.

Nor will a MCSE help you set up a cisco router.

So take the certs that are most relevant to what you want to do.

I expect this question was aimed towards wages and not interest

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  18. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

what s the gist of this thread?

19. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

WAGES ARE TEMPORARY BUT INTERESTS ARE PERMANENT.....since am interested in all of those,i want to know wich s best and i want to make myself interested in that....so posted this topic but many people here are talking something ...

20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

these sorts of certs are to backup your experience. So if you work with cisco switches etc do the CCNA, if you support and administer a multiserver environment then do the MCSE etc etc

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?