mcse or Bachelors?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by sina, Sep 8, 2006.

1. sina

sina New Member

i want to start mcse but some pepole told me Bachelors for computer or IT is beter what should i do now? help me plesae

2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Dear Sina,

Would it be possible for yourself to give us some further information regarding your IT background for example, experience / certs etc... Then we may be able to give you an informed decision.

Thank You.

3. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

hey sina, welcome to CF!
    if u dont have any IT qualifications then u might need to start out with A+, N+ and then MCSA (mcse will take a lot of time to complete and is quite tough, so try building a foundation if u dont have an IT background), though if u r interested in bachelors u can go ahead with that and side by side study and practice for your certs too :)

riaz

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What is your past experience and future aspirations?

An MCSE is only valid for as long as the product is being used - it has a sell by date.

A degree lasts forever!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Most certifications are time limited but a uni degree is forever. After all, it's possible to do both.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

In my opinion, do both. If you look around and investigate various degree programs, you will find that some Uni's are starting to incorporate professional certs (A+, Nertwork+, MCP's, etc) into their academic programs (degrees). So in essence, to kill two birds with one stone.

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Definately both.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  8. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

If I could go back and start over, I would take the educational route. Thus far in my "IT career" my certs haven't really gotten me any jobs.....it's what I know that got me where I am now.

For example, I'm not Cisco certified, but I can take a Cisco router from scratch and get a network up and running, which got me my current job.

I say take the educational route now and do the certs after.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  9. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

both.

Certs give you knowledge on things you will work on on the job.

Degree meets the requiement that your graduate standard.

Currently I just have just certs and expirence however I am planning on starting a HND next year then il top it to a Bsc, its a long term project but I should have it done by time I am 30 or so.

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003