MCSE offered by computrain

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by sh3l5, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It was a simple question, chill.

Random guy comes on a forum raving about a TP, think about it.

Here we go... :rolleyes:

Computrain? No. Another provider? Yes.

What negative feedback?

I work way more hours that you. There is no debate here.

Yes, you are.

That is correct, they are not charities. There is money to be made after all.

Well said.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Do Computrain also provide anger management courses? :twisted::twisted:

Mr Machfisto, i don't think everyone is down on training providers in general i just think that there are a lot of people on the forum that are very confident and self motivated and this probably translates into them wanting to do it all off their own backs.

Money is an issue also. Self study takes a huge amount of self discipline. A training provider in some cases provides a structured and organised approach which some individuals just would not be able to do themselves. Let's face it, some people are just not organised at all and would feel absolutely lost trying to work out what to learn first, which books to buy, how to register for an exam etc.

Working in IT as many on these forums do, we usually help people in our daily work roles. When someone comes on the forums appearing confused and unsure about whether to spend 5k for an MCSE and appears to be taking out loans to pay for it there will always be those that have gone a cheaper route trying to provide an alternative.

Not everyone is trying to put the training companies down, we are trying to offer a balanced view. A training provider is a business and want your money. Most will promise the earth and i just don't see how that is possible. I have read some real horror stories about people who have paid a huge amount of money for a course and ended up with no job that was promised.

A training provider can be a great thing as long as the person going into the contract knows exactly what they are doing and understands the alternatives. Most first time posters on here who are contemplating using a TP do not know there IS an alternative. The TP's are a business after all and explaining that you could just self study for a fraction of the cost is not really something they will tell you. Those that do will probably be skilled sales people who will smother it in negatives. I would expect no less from them.

Great to hear a positive response from someone who used a TP above, like Sparky though i thought he came on here with a slightly aggressive attitude towards self study and those advocating it and i also thought perhaps he works for Computrain as it seemed to be a fantastic advertisement for the company. Anyone can create a new account on here and advertise under a false name. I would like to see more positive responses from those within the community rather than 1 or 2 post new joiners.

Rah self study, Boo TP :p just joking!

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  3. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Blimey, I thought we'd been through all this! Search previous posts and you'll find people who've had good and bad experiences using TP's. I 'm using one and have had a pretty good experience so far. I've seen plenty of posts where members have had very poor service and have a very good reason to complain. I feel I'm very confident and motivated, doesn't mean I shouldn't use a TP.

Simple, do your research, make your choice. If it means taking out hefty loans that you think you might struggle with, then don't do it! And ignore all the sales BS about guaranteeing a job at the end of the course.

T

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

again Mr Machfisto and David nobody is against TPs on here, why people mention self study as an option is because if you can't self study IT may be a hard profession for you since you are constantlu learning and having to take things in. Another reason is because it's cheaper than going with a TP and you can study at your own pace.

I never knew before doing my certs that you could just take an exam without being on a course some people are the same which is another good reason to mention self study.

There are more negative threads on here about people experience so of course people are gonna want to warn people against using them.

If there were no bad threads then nobody would mention anything about them but unfortunately there are.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Er...

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Mr Machfisto

Do you ever post anything else on this forum other than a comment sticking up for training providers? It seems to me that you're some sort of cheerleader for Training Providers - not sure why this should be the case, but let me set you straight on a couple of things.

Firstly, there are plenty of people on here who have used TPs (myself included) who don't sing their praises. Indeed, I was very happy with the training provider I used to help me get my MCSE - but I still don't think it was even remotely worth the money the course cost (luckily, I got it paid as part of a redundancy agreement with a previous employer). There is a world of difference between simply badmouthing Training Providers - and justifying why you believe they are rubbish (which is what I and many others have done on here ad nauseum).

Secondly, if you or anyone else can seriously say, with a straight face, that it is acceptable for a Training Provider to 'guarantee' someone a job after getting an MCSE with no previous experience in IT, or that they can 'guarantee' an MCSE in 15 days - again with no previous experience in IT, then good luck to ya. Personally, I think its ****e like this that makes the IT Training industry so laughable.

Put briefly, any company charging eight grand for a certification that will, all likelihood in this economic climate be completely worthless to you and lie to you about job 'guarantees' that aren't worth the paper they're not printed on is a joke.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. DavidNG

DavidNG New Member

I would like to apologise if I came across agressive, that was not my intention.

All I wanted to do was give my personal experience with a company I have used and I felt I was being called a liar. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones that had a good experience.

I didnt read all the comments on here, as there are hundreds so I only read a handful and they all seemed very negative. I might of jumped the gun a bit.

Like some of you have stated above, if you have the discipline then self study is the way to go, its cheap and you can take your time.

If you dont have the discipline then a TP might be your best option. I would just recommend doing your research. I was quoted different prices from £8000 - £3000.

I chose Computrain because the training is on-line. I paid £3350 including all my exams plus re-takes! They didnt actually guarantee me a job, but my consultant did say that if they were not able to place I would be able to get a FULL refund. I thought what could be the worst that could happen? I could get my MCSE and if they dont get me a job within certain distance from where I live I get my money back!

So I am just going to say Sorry again if I came across agressive, it just winds me up when people give advice or feedback about a company or for anything for that matter when they havent used it or dont know.

Just make up your own minds!

8. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

I agree, an informed decision is a good decision. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Nobody is offended David so don't worry. People just get concerend as these TPs charge so much money for what is in effect self study most of the time. People also worry because these places say things like "we will get you a job" when most of the time it doesn't happen. All you need to do is search this forum and find many people complaining about how much they have paid and they have nothing to show for it.

People also get concerend because these places over certify people too which isn't good for the individual or the IT field.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. DavidNG

DavidNG New Member

I agree with you there. It is very expensive, but the way I looked it was that I found it very difficult to get into the IT industry. Before I chose to do a course, I was applying for lots of different type of Junior roles in IT and wasnt getting anywhere. The feedback I was getting from employers was that I lacked experience and qualifications That was a bit of a catch 22 situation as you cant really get one without the other.

I wasnt prepared to spend 3 years of my life at Uni doing a degree that might not get me into the industry and forking out £20K!

I found the TP route quciker and cheaper and I had the structure and support I needed. I was never told that I would get a guaranteed job, but they did say they would help me by putting me infront of employers which was good enough for me.

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No problem, just please bear in mind that most people on this forum, me included, have used training providers and for one reason or another ended up feeling they didn't get *value for money*. I have been posting on here since 2003, i spend hours reading posts here every singe day. I have read more posts than i can possibly remember from desperate people ranting that they have wasted a fortune and are now facing a court battle to try, probably in vain to get their money back. So, what we do is try and open peoples eyes to the potential 'pitfalls'. we are not biased either way and certainly don't have any grudges about any particular training provider. We just give, what we see as sound advice. Take it or leave it.

I'm glad to hear that you had a positive experience, however, I'm sure you are aware of the potential *shill* factor, meaning, a person with a vested interest posts positive feedback on an Internet forum, to try and drum up business. I'm not saying 'you' are a shill. but it is common practise and people should also take that into account 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. pigwig

pigwig New Member

Hi,
    I highly recommend you steer clear of Computrain! They're crooks...I learned the hard way!
    Advent's expensive but good!

13. JoJoe

JoJoe New Member

Hi Pig Wig,

I had a very bad experience with Advent and I am still paying for it now! You must have been lucky. I am still paying off £5500 for my training. I find it impossble to get my work marked by them and they never return calls. I feel like they have strung me a long. I am in the process of taking them to court!

I should of done my research!

Have you used Computrain then?

14. JoJoe

JoJoe New Member

Hi DavidNG,

It sounds like you had a good experience with Computrain. Did you have a sales guy come round? Would you recommend them?

I have registered with Advent which was a massive mistake, they seem to just take for ever to mark my work and I mean weeks not days! I am in the process of taking them to court to get my money back and in the mean time I am looking to go somewhere else. My friend who works in the industry says im nuts to go to another training provider, but ive tried self study and cant motivate myself to do it.

Fingers crossed I can and wanted to get some info from you about them as you seemed to have had a good experience.

I would be glad to hear from anyone else that has used Computrain or Computeach please :D

Im not looking for personal opinions, just actual experience.

Thanks

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you search the forum, you'll find about eleventy thousand of them... including one posted today: link

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Computrain Dale

Computrain Dale New Member

I have successfuly done the training with computrain. the training is good, the online mentor was very helpful and the certificates are legit. The problem i am having now is the job replacement they offered. ive done the training last december 2008. I have been contacting them since January about the job replacement and havent got reply at all! you can forget about the job replacement they offer i think that isnt really true. Now i have reported them to Citizen Bureau Advice and i sent them a letter about the full refund. i wrote that if dont get the refund within 21 days. We will take them to court. thats what the bureau adviced me.

17. imjustalex

imjustalex New Member

Funnily enough they contacted me today after a large wait since i originally applied on their website!

I last posted on this forum 2/3 years ago, I went to college and got my HNC but havent done any IT related study since then and currently work part time in a supermarket :dry Of course I have decided I want to get back into the IT and applied with computeach.

They phoned me today asking a little about me, the guy was really nice on the phone, basically said they wanted to get to know me before offering me a position, find out if im the right person as they are primarily a recruitment company, they want to send the right person out to the job they "guarentee" as you would be representing them. Of course at first I thought this was too good to be true but I told him about the NITLC bloke I had down at my house for a few hours offering me training at double the price and access to a workshop god knows wherever in England.

Come the end of the interview he told me I would get a web interview with the possibility of being offered the 6-8 month trianing at £2700

First thoughts, sounds to good to be true and read a lot of bad things about it when googling. Would probably be more worthwhile just to go down the self study route

18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Classic sales pitch :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Complete and utter cr@p.

If you have the cash to take the course then you are in, simple as that.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. imjustalex

imjustalex New Member

whats utter crap? that was the guy over the phones words, that they are primarily a recruitment company and they get the money for getting me into a job :blink

Of course one would look at the name of their company, compu-train, nothing about recruiting jumps out at you there but as soon as he mentioned they get money for giving them staff it becomes clear as day... of course £2700 is a lot of money for something I could do a hell of a lot cheaper gradually whilst working part time and not having to worry about owing massive amounts of money