MCSE IT Training Courses

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by awb123, Oct 2, 2006.

1. awb123

awb123 New Member

Hi,

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction concerning training courses for the MCSE certification. I am currently working in IT and have a solid base of networking in a Microsoft environment. I am looking to study for my MCSE and would like to go on a training course which will stand me in good ground for passing the MCPs first time. I am fully prepared for doing home study but want a course that is practical and covers exactly what you need to know. Not much too ask is it????

I am based in Somerset near Bristol and Bath and have searched around and am finding it difficult to find a company that can deliver what I need. I want to study local, so can anyone that has used a training company and give a review if it is worth the money they are asking, typically 3 to 4 thousand pounds.

I appreciate everyone's help on this. Thank you,

Andy

2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Books cover exactly what you need to know. And you don't have to pay thousands of pounds.
    Plus, unless you think you can learn and remember everything needed to pass an exam in one week (if they even tell you everything you need to know), you will have to do self study anyway. So you might as well do it in the first place.

Trust me - as someone who's been there and done that, I will always recommend self study over IT training "schools".
    I don't even go to the classes which I've already paid for anymore; I go straight to the books.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No training course can prepare you for a Microsoft exam. You will get a piece of paper that says you sat a course but you will not get the MCP certificate as _omni_ states without a lot of self study!

The Microsoft MOCs (Microsoft Official Curriculum) only covers a small proportion of what you need to know in order to sit the exam. The training providers cover the MOC, the rest is up to you.

I would say that in some instances the MOC covered about 20% of the depth of knowledge needed to pass the exam, if that.

If you want to be MCSE then you will end up self studying for months on end, training provider or no training provider. That is why, the people that have been there and done that, say self study the whole thing and save your money.

MCSE with training provider approx 6 weeks of courses. Time to pass 7 MCSE exams in reality took me 150 weeks of self study. You may or may not do it quicker than me but as I am sure people realise I am no slouch.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I agree. The bottom line is a lot of hard work by the individual.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. awb123

awb123 New Member

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated. I am fully prepared to self study and put the hours in. I just wanted some feedback on training courses, whether they are worth the money or not. By reading your comments and of others in other threads I am now becoming completely convinced that they are a big con. In my eyes a Training course should put you in a good position to pass an exam, teach you 100% the course content and be fully aware of the trends the exams are currently taking if any.

By reading people's experiences of IT Training courses I will save my money and enjoy spending it on a fantastic holiday. I am lucky enough to have a mock network in work where I can practice what I learn.

Thanks again.

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Something to remember though is that people tend to be more vocal about problems than they do with successes.

The training companies can't be blamed for everything!:biggrin

7. awb123

awb123 New Member

That is true, you only seem to hear about the horrors of IT Training schools. Surely someone out there has some great success stories about a training school / academy or whatever???