MCSE- how , where and when?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by hasnain721, Jun 2, 2011.

1. hasnain721

hasnain721 New Member

Hello guys,

So ive decided to do MCSE and was wondering whether if you guys could help me plz

1) Material wise- there are tons and tons of books available on the internet. Could you guys recommend me the best ones plz?

2) Where can i sit these exams?

3) Any other useful info?

Many thanks.

Kind Regards.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

first of all do you have any experience?

The MCSE is for people with 12-18 months as systems engineers.

If you are looking to get into IT the MCSE without experience will not help.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. hasnain721

hasnain721 New Member

Ive got basic experience of 1st line support mate.

4. greenbrucelee

what certs do you have?

5. hasnain721

hasnain721 New Member

None officially mate. I'm an engineering undergrad with bits and bobs of experience in repairs/troubleshooting computers.

6. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

Since you're new to Microsoft certification, I would look at the Microsoft Learning website. I've linked to the MCSE page but also take a look at the other info they have on there. You didn't say where you are located but if you're in the US you can test through the company Prometric. They are a third party company which proctors exams for various companies. Since the MCSE involves seven exams, three of which you choose the exam you wish to do, most people take it one exam at a time and use study material for that exam. Since quality can differ so much you wouldn't want to do all of your studying from one book that may be good in some areas and bad in others.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7
  7. greenbrucelee

The the MCSE is beyond your level at this current time. You should go for compTIA A+, compTIA Network+ and 70-680 which is managing and configuring windows 7. You could possible do the 70-270 which is like the windows 7 exam but for XP and that counts towards the MCSA.

The A+ and N+ count towards one of the electives for the MCSE now but untill you have experience of managing a multi server multi user environment and server work then the MCSE isn't for you.

8. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

I posted my response before you posted yours. Since you are entry level at this point, I would not look at MCSE. I would look at CompTIA A+, which is troubleshooting hardware and software and assembling computers and CompTIA Network+ which is managing and troubleshooting network hardware.

You're first job in IT would be user support and these certificates will help validate your knowledge and experience. Be careful getting certificates without experience beyond entry level ones like A+.

If you're supporting Windows users then from Microsoft, I would look at MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technican 7, this covers Windows 7 in an enterprise environment including remote management, deploying images and preparing default user profiles among many other things. Take things one step at a time though and look into CompTIA A+ first.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7
  9. hasnain721

hasnain721 New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I am based in London,UK. I did have a look at A+ and i thought i'll be able to do most of the stuff as it looks quite basic. Nevertheless would you guys still recommend A+ before MCSE?

10. greenbrucelee

yes totally. The MCSE without the experience of what on MCSE certified person does can go against you when looking for jobs. If you can do the A+ stuff without studying it then get it. Basic certs first advanced certs when you have the experience that they are supposed to backup.

11. hasnain721

hasnain721 New Member

Could you kindly eloborate on what you mean by experience please?

12. greenbrucelee

I have already said. Someone going for the MCSE should have 12-18 months experience as a systems engineer managing and supporting a 250+ user multi server environment. It states this on the MS website.

There are certs for people who are at a basic IT level and certs for people who are at an advanced level in IT. The MCSE is the latter.

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Personally, I would say that if you are asking those questions, you aren't ready for an MCSE.
    Anyone with the required experience would know the answers.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Have to agree with the above comments and to reitterate that the mcse is not one exam that you pass and you are one. It is made up of other exams aswell including the A+ and network+ that can be used as electives. basically by doing thaws you are still working towards a mcse, but in a structured approach which you have to match with expierence.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  15. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Yes, all good advice.
    Maybe head for an MCSA for the future by building towards it.
    Choose your courses wisely and you will be 'stepped-though' certification as first an 'MCTS', then an 'MCITP' and ultimately possibly the MCSA. But be sure to gain further experience whilst you are learning to compliment this.
    Best of luck for your future studies...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  16. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Yeah, baby steps my friend. With little or no server and AD experience, you'll be in for a rude awakening. But, some of the client exams (MCDST, MCP in XP/2000 or MCTS/MCITP in Vista/7) you'll already have the basic certs required for an MCSE or the 2008/R2 equivalent.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM