MCSE confusion.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Aureilius, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Hi.

I was in the book shop today, looking for whatever A+ books they had. I'm hoping to start on it in a week or so via learndirect (they have a few A+ endorsed courses).

Anyway, I got to looking at, amongst others, the MCSE books. There was MCSE XP proffesional, MCSE security, & a few others.

My question is, are these all part of the same qualification? Or can you be an MCSE in different things, similar to how a degree or a-level work (same skill level, just different subject)?

I'm hoping that the four or five tombes I saw earlier are not all part of one cert? They were like breezeblocks!

Any advice much appreiciated.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi, With the MCSE qualification there are seven separate exams to pass and each one is an MCP certification in it's own right. There are four *core* subjects which are taken by all MCSEs which covers workstation, server, TCP/IP and networking and Administrating Active Directory. After that there are the electives i.e you get to chose from a bunch of possibilities. I chose ISA for example as one but I could have chosen Exchange instead. You also have to take at least one design exam, if you chose security I think that gives you MCSE+security but I chose Active directory design.

For more information check out the Microsoft web site.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  4. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Thanks guys.

Waaay outta my league for now.

Still, interesting reading.

How daunting does that look :eek:

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+