MCSE Certification - Few Questions

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by FM-GM, Dec 30, 2015.

1. FM-GM

FM-GM New Member

Hello,

I am considering taking the MCSE in Server Infrastructure. I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind helping. I have looked at the MS site but I can't seem to find the answer or I am not 100%. Those in know will know the answer right away.

1. From taking the first exam (70-410), how long do I have until I am required to sit the final exam please?
    2. I am right in thinking the MCSE in Server Infrastructure is not specific to 2012 R2? You don't have separate certifications for separate versions of the OS?
    3. What if Server 2016 comes out and I haven't finished my MCSE? Will the 2012 R2 exams still be live for a period? Or maybe I could mix and match with the server 2016 equivalent?

Thanks

Certifications: CCNP R&S
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Microsoft was always version dependant, so you took your 2008 exams based on 2008 infrastructure, you took your 2012 exams based on 2012 infrastructure, I would imagine it's not going to change, so that 2016 exams will be based on 2016 server infrastrucuture.

What I am trying to say is that an exam of this kind is worthless if it's not based on a product version and I can't see that changing from Microsofts perspective.

As far as exam retirement is concerned, there is a page on the Microsoft site that details upcoming exam retirements.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Microsoft thinks that an exam of this kind is worthless if it's not based on a product version because that way they make more money...

4. Pizzaboy

Pizzaboy Bit Poster

To answer your first question, you can take as long as you want once the exams are not expired like SimonD mentioned.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), Network+, MCSA:2003, MCTS:Win7,640,642
    WIP: 70-410
  5. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Yeh do them in order too as they usually build. 2008 server is still going on exams so dont worry and when you get 2012 mcsa/cse then you can do the upgrade exam when you need to and its not as if everyone will jump to 2016 anytime soon.
    Concentrate on getting each one first.
    I am doing 2012 server mcsa certs, maybe keep going after that to mcse

Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646