MCSE / CCNA - What route?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by 5aq1b, Sep 26, 2006.

1. 5aq1b

5aq1b Bit Poster

Hi,
    I do have some experience of networks. infact, did everything but the exam of CCNA part 1 as part of my BSc Networking & Computer support course.

I am now looking to do the ful CCNA and also MCSE.

I enquired to do these through www.nitlc.co.uk and their route towards teh CCNA and MCSE is as follows:

Introduction to PC's
    Introduction to Windows
    Introduction to the Internet
    Communication Skills for Help Desk Personnel
    NITLC Certificate #16-42

Microcomputer Hardware
    NITLC Certificate #16-34

Understanding Network Fundamentals
    NITLC Certificate #16-25

CompTIA A+ Core Hardware
    CompTIA #220-301

CompTIA A+ Operating System Technologies
    CompTIA #220-302

CompTIA Network+
    CompTIA #N10-003

Installing, Configuring and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    MCP Exam #70-270

Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment
    MCP #70-290

Implementing, Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
    MCP #70-291

After completion of the above modules you will be MCSA qualified.

Planning and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
    MCP #70-293

Planning, Implementing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure
    MCP #70-294

Designing a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory and Network Infrastructure
    MCP #70-297

Implementing and Managing Microsoft Exchange Server 2003
    MCP #70-284
    or

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Systems Administration
    MCP #70-228

After completion of the above modules your will be MCSE qualified.

Cisco Certified Network Associate
    Cisco #640-801

---------

Now, the approx cost of this is around £4,000. I'm paying for all the materials, exams as well i presume? and also support throughout the study and also access to a virtual server so that I can program Cisco routers (i think).

I am able to gain access to material for the MCSA and CCNA modules, so is there anyway I can do just the exams on their own? Meaning I only pay for exams and not the full £4k for the materials, support etc?

Can someone also tell me what's the latest materials needed just to make sure I have the right one?

Also, if doing on my own, how would I go around practicing the more hands on stuff?

Hoep someone can help!

2. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

yes if you have training materials already or have access to them you can just pay for exam fees at your local testing centre.

Microsoft exams are about £88 each, comptia ones I think are a little more, not sure about cisco one.

I would deifntily do the self study route and book exams when your ready.

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  3. 5aq1b

5aq1b Bit Poster

Thanks. I was told by someone that the Cisco one includes some hands on stuff? How would I go around that if i was doing the self study?

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably best buying some old Cisco kit on Ebay. Also for the MCSE you may need a few old servers to setup\configure\break unless you want to install Virtual PC (or something similar) 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

looks like a nice course, they offer a lot of stuff. Good luck with it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I agree - thats pretty comprehensive for four grand.

Ignoring the shite at the top (NITLC? They'll get you far in the workplace...) the route they have planned out is a nice, sensible one.

I foresee problems at the end however - I'm sick to death of tech schools pimping out the SQL Admin course as an elective for the MCSE.

BEWARE - SQL Server is BLOODY HARD. If you have the choice of doing another elective, take it. I had loads of SQL experience before taking my two SQL exams for the MCDBA - it still took me six months to study for them.

That gripe apart, it looks good.

How long have you got for the course? I'd estimate that would take around 18 months with your BSc - maybe shorter depending on how much knowledge from that you can port across to the professional certifications.

As for equipment, FleaBay is your friend! You can kit out a whole lab with routers, switches, boxes and networking equipment for about 1200 quid. That should buy you four little PCs you can use as servers/workstations, a KVM, a monitor, a couple of 2500s as your routers, a couple of catalysts (2924s or similar) plus the assorted gumph necessary to connect everything up. If you;re not doing your CCNA until the end, then you dont have to bother with the Cisco kit until then either - by which time you may well be earning enough money to help pay for all this!

Good luck!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Not a fan of NITLC then Zeb? Pray tell, what is your gripe?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. 5aq1b

5aq1b Bit Poster

I have VMware with Serve 2003 running, is that sufficient enough? Do not have any Cisco equipment though . . .

9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

5aq1b

I'd advice you go the MCSA/MCSE route first as this would help give you more grounding on the network infrastructure side of things i.e. TCP/IP. I think with VMware server running on Windows 2003 server would be a good way to practice stuff like domain controller, GPO and active directory.

With regards to the Cisco side of things you don't need a router or switch to practice on as you can use Boson netsim very good. On the other hand if you can get some 2500 routers and 2600 switch from ebay then go for it by all means as hands on is the way to go either way.

Let us know how you get on. Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's great, Onoski... but this post is almost 6 months old. I doubt they're watching for a response...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The guy was lurking just over a month ago, you never know! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Apologies, did not know post was that old, well talk about resurrection heh:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No problem, no harm done... I was pretty sure you didn't realize it. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. 5aq1b

5aq1b Bit Poster

Thanks alot guys for the replies. Still keeping tabs on this post!

With regards to the MCP/MCSA/MCSE, i've yet to start these so am i better of gettting started on the MCITP certs? Are they replacing the current ones?