MCSE and ignored by recruiters

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Snowwhite, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Arron

Arron Bit Poster

Hi Snowwhite,

I don't think your giving yourself enough credit for passing the MCSE exam. Well done :clap

Getting the MCSE cert is still useful to you and always will be. Try not to rely on it so much when applying for your first IT job. Im sure you have many other skills that will help you land a job in IT. For one you have shown determination in passing the MCSE exam. You know your strengths so use them and im sure someone will give you a chance. Don't give up the hard work and keep applying. Good luck to you :thumbleft

Certifications: BSc Network Management & Security
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Logicum

Logicum Bit Poster

Not sure if you have found work as yet, but hang in there!

Have you tried local schools and colleges? Often they are willing to take on support staff with little or no experience but plenty of "IT savvy". Put it this way- I am a Senior Systems Manager and would love to interview someone like yourself. So yes- hang in there friend. Lots of times you will find that those interviewing you will feel threatened by your MCSE- even though not perhaps backed up by MCSE level experience. As others have suggested, tone down your CV to include perhaps one or two MCPs from the MCSE (say, the XP Professional and Server components individually) and that may help- or better just don't mention it at all. The problem with this is that without experience you look "empty" to prospective employers (no certification and no experience).

Yes- your "moment" will either come real soon or has already arrived. If you need some advice just PM me- always willing to help if I can!

WIP: Many
  3. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Didn't read all rpls.

Don't put age on CV

I don't

At college one of the other student has a saying. If you throw a enough shite at a wall soon some will stick.
    i.e keep on send cv out & one will hit target. If they don't call for interview there loss.

In same kind of boat but I don't have MCSE. It just takes time.

4. Snowwhite

Snowwhite Bit Poster

Many, many thanks for trying to help me:D

In January I indeed realised that I can apply directly to employers passing by all agencies. I wish I did it earlier. It required more "investigation" sometimes, but I had an impression that someone reads my CV, not only screens it for specific words. I had one interview. Unsuccessful, but I have no hard feelings as that fantastic job was for an experienced engineer, not someone who is about to start. But they gave me a chance.
    Next I applied to the local school for ICT technician position ( I think Logicum that you are absolutly right )but wasn't shortlisted. Than I applied via agency for two helpdesk bilingual ( English and my native "European" ) jobs in different places and didn't hear from anybody.
    I was so bewildered by this fact, that I started to doubt if I could speak my native language at all :shocked
    I am joking of course. I don't give up easily, but it was too much. I decided to apply for the similar job I was doing before coming to UK. This time I used the advertised information on the website and after some short investigation I managed to identifie the employer :twisted:. I applied directly, I have got this job. If I decided to use the agency I would have never been shortlisted.

I didn't manage to enter IT. Agencies didn't work for me at all ( before my IT adventure I tried to get a job I was doing all my life via agencies and I failed (or they failed? :D )).
    Anyway, I am IT guru at home :D and I have learnt that man-in-the-middle always brings trouble, never solution.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: confused
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congratulations on the new job, just shows again and again persistence pays:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. Snowwhite

Snowwhite Bit Poster

Thanks. Yes, persistence always pays even if the outcome is quite surprising :D

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: confused
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

congrats :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?