MCSE 2003 Course - which one? help!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by ckjhalpin, Jun 20, 2007.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you're a carpenter, then tell me this... without knowing how much experience I have with woodworking, how good I am with my hands, what my physical condition is, how much spare time I have, or what responsibilities I have... how long would you say it would take me to build a house? Ballpark figure?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

I get your drift. What you need is a bit of background on me.

As I have said, I gained a Foundation in IT & Diploma in C programming passed with Distinction. This took me 6 hours per week average for 60 weeks or 360 hours. I had 'played' with PC's during the eighties but never took a serious interest 'til the late nineties. I built my first PC and progressed to teaching MS Office for 6 months before starting the Diploma.

I now head all technical aspects for a small Internet laptop / PC reseller. Everything from refurbing and repairing, installing OS's to customer support. 4 years experience.

I decided to sit my A+ paid for by my employer and found it easy, I knew more than the tutor, which wasn't that hard, he couldn't remember what ISA stood for ( and quite a few other thing's). Took about 18 hours study .

My network knowledge has many holes in it but I still have a good understanding of the basic concepts and technologies.

I have about 6 hours free time to study, the course completion times should give you an idea of my learning speed and ability. I have many responsibilities at home and at work (married with kid's) but I can still get my study time.

Certifications: A+ C Programming
    WIP: Network+
  3. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

More relevant would be...How long to train as a carpenter? To which the mean average would be 900 hours, assuming you were of average capabilities and intellect.

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Lee,

Just out of curiousity, where did you get that from?

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How long is a piece of string?

If it helps I passed my first cert in September 2005 and I hope to complete the MCSE this year. I do have experience designing and installing networks but no high end corporate networks as yet!

From what you have posted you seem to have some desktop experience but little in terms of network admin and troubleshooting. You may pass the 70-270 easily but after that its all networking!

Perhaps study for a couple of the MCPs required for the MCSE and that will give you a better idea of the timescale to get the whole MCSE completed. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

Experience, some number crunching, National Statistics. The "majority who have gained a Master Crafts in Carpentry have taken on average 900 hours of training to gain full qualification".

Ok so they've been teaching carpentry for a lot longer than Microsoft have been around so there is more to draw on.

7. BosonMichael

If I knew you in person, I'd still not be able to estimate the amount of time it would take you. You may or may not be able to take tests well. You may or may not be a logical person. You may or may not have a happy marriage. You may or may not have access to a live environment or a lab environment. You may or may not have a study partner. You may or may not live close to a test center. You may or may not be well off financially. You may or may not have experience with DNS, DHCP, Windows Server 2003, IP addressing and subnetting, network design, and/or Active Directory, and if you DO have experience with them, you may have a little, and you may have a lot.

If you want me to set a hard date for you, I'll do it, though it's irresponsible of me to do so. I'd much rather advise you to study until you understand the concepts completely. No more, no less.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

Thank's for the input.

I'm considering a few different methods due to the time available and prior commitments and 'trying' to draw on some experience.

9. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

I won't press you for an answer, what you have said in itself has been helpful in fomenting a 'game plan'.
    I am going to study for my N+
    and see for myself as it will be the most accurate way to benchmark my network skills and aptitude.

Thanks again for your thought's and patience. If you could advise of any sources for info, books or other, I would appreciate it.

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

Thanks mate. Will check it out.

12. BosonMichael

No problem! I just want to see you do as well as you possibly can. There's no sense in you getting frustrated with yourself if you can't meet the goal, and conversely, there's no sense in you taking an extremely long time for something that you believe will take you no time at all. ;)

For Network+, I usually recommend the Sybex guide.

13. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

Thanks. Have had a look at Sybex and have shortlisted three possible books:
    CompTIA Network+ Certification Kit: Exam N10-003

Network Administrator Street Smarts: A Real World
    Guide to CompTIA Network+ Skills

Network+ Study Guide: Exam N10-003, 4th Edition

The Real World guide is standing out as my first choice
    Do you have any feedback or thoughts on any of the above?

14. BosonMichael

I recommend this one.

15. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd agree with BM - the Groth book is good.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  16. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

Thanks again guys. Will definitely have some questions in the next few months. Got to get married first. Then, Network+, here I come.